Official Review: Grind by Edward Vukovic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Grind by Edward Vukovic

Post by MsMartha »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grind" by Edward Vukovic.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s not unusual these days for an author to tell the stories of several characters who are not friends or relatives, and who apparently have different experiences and social backgrounds. As a reader, I enjoy this. I expect the author will bring the characters together by the end of the book, and I’ll try to figure out how their relationships will connect before the author lets me know.

Grind by Edward Vukovic is this kind of story, and is terrific in many ways. It’s told in first person by several realistic main characters who live in Australia. Ziva, a young immigrant woman from what she calls “the old Yugoslavia”, lives with her sister and brother-in-law, and works in a sewing factory. She loves coffee and has learned to “read” it, in order to help people—and herself--understand what their future will be. Simon is a young man who works at a real estate company and is struggling to be successful. Isaac, who owns a dog named Dante, runs a bar that has coffee as well as beer. Michel, an immigrant from Belgium, seems to be one of the homeless people seen regularly on the streets. Danielle is a young student who cares for her father after a family tragedy. She studies and thinks about how her life might evolve. We get to know these people as they share their life experiences, their current situations, and their hopes. As Ziva reads the coffee, and dreams occur for her and others, we also get to see hints about what is actually going to happen.

The characters take us through the plot, so that we can find out what happens and why. That being said, I almost hesitate to use the term “plot”, because the characters and situations seem very real rather than imagined. Edward Vucovic has done a very good job organizing, describing, and resolving what happens. As the story progresses, more is learned about the background of the characters, whether they meet each other (and how that happens), and what the results will be. I hesitate to give too much detail about this, because that would certainly include spoilers; but I did feel that the results were very satisfying and realistic.

Of course, it can also be important to mention that some things could have been done a little differently. For example, all the characters who tell in first person seem to use a very similar style. Chapters are noted by the character who is in charge, and what happens and how it happens gives us information as well, but having some style differences might make each character a bit more recognizable and unique.

I also saw a few issues that might be resolved by some editing. There were a few typos. For example, “the pest apple pie” probably should have been “the best apple pie”. Some sentences used a lot of commas, and could have been a couple of complete sentences instead. In addition, normal paragraph indentations were used in narrative sections, but there were no paragraph indentations in dialogue. Granted, these were not things that made the book too difficult to read, but given how well the plot and characterization were done, I think fixing these issues would make the book even better.

I suspect it will be no surprise that I am rating Grind with 4 out of 4 stars in spite of the possible editing issues mentioned previously. While I was reading this book, I was far more involved with wondering how the story would end than with noting errors. I have already said more than once that the characters and plot were well done, but there are other things I found impressive as well. There is some good poetry that one of the characters wrote, for example. It was a book I wished I could have just continued reading, without stopping for work or sleep; and I’m already thinking about reading it again.

I would categorize this book as “Other Fiction”, since it includes romance, mystery, and some psychic elements as well. If you like great characters, a satisfying plot, and really good coffee, Grind is a book for you!

Grind
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsMartha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Nice, original review :)
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review! I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a well written, thorough review. Glad you enjoyed the book. It sounds like an interesting and unique story.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Thanks for the comments, Swiftmover07, gali, and PashaRu!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I enjoyed reading your review, MsMartha! I'm glad that even with some of the suggestions and issues you bring up, you were able to enjoy the read! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book as well :)
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

debo9967 wrote:Nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book as well :)
I think we both made a good choice to read this book--and I think other readers will enjoy it as much as we did!
Edward Vukovic
Favorite Author: Edward Vukovic
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 32334

Post by Edward Vukovic »

Thank you for the kind and considered words in your review. Also, many thanks for pointing out some of the formatting issues. These and any other other typographical concerns have been fixed and updated.

Cheers Ed
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Edward Vukovic wrote:Thank you for the kind and considered words in your review. Also, many thanks for pointing out some of the formatting issues. These and any other other typographical concerns have been fixed and updated.

Cheers Ed
Ed, thank you for writing a great book! I've thought about this story a lot even though I finished reading it a while ago--and that's not something that usually happens.
Edward Vukovic
Favorite Author: Edward Vukovic
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 32334

Post by Edward Vukovic »

MsMartha wrote:
Edward Vukovic wrote:Thank you for the kind and considered words in your review. Also, many thanks for pointing out some of the formatting issues. These and any other other typographical concerns have been fixed and updated.

Cheers Ed
Ed, thank you for writing a great book! I've thought about this story a lot even though I finished reading it a while ago--and that's not something that usually happens.
I really appreciate that. I hoped it would resonate with people and am heartened to see that's had an impact.
TeamJC
Currently Reading: South of Broad
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teamjc.html

Post by TeamJC »

I have this book marked to read based on another review. After reading your review, I am very excited to read this book - soon!!! Thank you for your review! I can't wait to read this one!!
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

TeamJC wrote:I have this book marked to read based on another review. After reading your review, I am very excited to read this book - soon!!! Thank you for your review! I can't wait to read this one!!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Christopher Morosoff
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Christopher Morosoff »

Excellent review! You captured the essence of the book and peaked my interest. I will definitely read this book. Great job!!
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Christopher Morosoff wrote:Excellent review! You captured the essence of the book and peaked my interest. I will definitely read this book. Great job!!
Thank you! I was just thinking this morning about how this book seems to keep a little place in your mind, even once you've finished reading it. Enjoy!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”