Official Review: The Sisters Of Kirley by A I West

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nunu
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nunu.html
Latest Review: "The Sisters Of Kirley" by A I West

Official Review: The Sisters Of Kirley by A I West

Post by nunu »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sisters Of Kirley" by A I West.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book I am reviewing is called the Sisters of Kirley by A.I. West. I would classify this book as most definitely fiction, in the genre of humor, with a sub category of mystery or science fiction depending upon your view.

The Sisters of Kirley find themselves excommunicated by a very ungrateful Catholic church that essentially leaves three nuns with no money, no work, and no hope. However, very quickly through extraordinary means, all three ladies find a little extra cash, allowing them to buy the convent. The purchasing of the convent is just the beginning in this absolute crazy story. With the convent all to themselves, the mystery, mischief, and anything but mundane is put into motion. Soon, a milkman, IT man, inanimate object, and a few other unexpected characters join forces with the nuns to solve quite a conundrum.

These are a few things I liked about this book. If you think you have an idea where the plot is headed, you will be wrong. If you think that this book cannot possibly get any weirder, you would also be wrong. I love West’s use of humor. His sarcasm and wit were non-stop. Sometimes, it could even get a little over bearing, but for the most part, the humor was very enjoyable. I also liked the variation of the characters. What sort of animal/creature that would pop up in the story next constantly surprised me.

Unfortunately, there were several things I did not like about this book. There is essentially zero character development. New characters are added throughout the book, but as for our original few characters, there is no depth whatsoever. Granted, this book in general has no depth, and I’m sure that the author intended for this. However, a little deeper characters would be nice. Also, the plot was crazy. I liked how unexpected the plot was; however, the cheap, non-committal feeling of the plot bothered me. All the problems of the cast were resolved very quickly, often within the same chapter. I like to see my characters suffer just a bit, it adds to their development, which I mentioned is severely lacking in this book.

I am going to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I am not advising people to not read it, yet I am not going to advise people to read it. Really, a book like this depends on your reading style and mood. If you are looking for a very light, non-committal book that makes you laugh and raise your eyebrows in wonder and confusion, then this is a book for you. However, if you are looking for something that tears at your heart and makes you fall in love or hate, this is not a book for you. I personally enjoyed this little light-hearted read, but I know many who would not share my thoughts.

The Sisters Of Kirley
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nunu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Sisters Of Kirley" by A I West

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”