Official Review: The Stars Are Made Of Tears

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: The Stars Are Made Of Tears

Post by Shelle »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stars Are Made Of Tears" by Kathleen Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At one point or another, all of us have likely been operating from a place of dysfunction. Perhaps it was a tragic situation, a debilitating illness, or something else entirely out of our control. In Kathleen Martin’s novel, The Stars are Made of Tears, we meet three women in various stages of dysfunction, all needing something more, but none are sure how to get it. I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars.

From the outsider’s perspective, young mother Dell has the perfect life. A handsome and adoring husband, a chubby-cheeked baby boy, a nice car, and a brick house in the suburbs. But just beneath the surface of this idyllic scene, Dell struggles with severe post-partum depression and wrestles with issues stemming from her father’s abandonment and subsequent harsh treatment by her mother. Dell wants so badly to be a good wife and mother and be grateful for this life she honestly doesn’t feel she deserves, but the depression and accompanying demons keep pulling her into very dark places.

Conversely, Monica knows she’s pretty messed up and doesn’t think she can ever get any better, and doesn’t really want to try either. After burying her childhood heartbreaks by diligently working for years in the insurance industry, some forced time off gives her unwelcome quiet and space to dig up the bones from her past. She’s not sure if she’s going certifiably insane or actually being visited by the ghost of her long-deceased younger sister, but she just knows she wants the pain to stop.

The third character, Gladys, is quite literally a child locked in the body of an old woman. Her emotional and social growth and development stopped at age 4 due to her own mother’s extreme negligence. Gladys has never known anything outside of the walls of the apartment she shares with her mother. When her living situation changes drastically, Gladys learns how to survive on the streets. She knows she’s different from the other people she sees out there, she’s just not sure how, and has no idea what to do about it.

When these three unique and very fragile women’s lives intersect in a very unexpected way, we see just how deep the hurt goes, how raw the pain feels, and maybe, just maybe, how the healing can start to happen.

Above all, The Stars are Made of Tears is a careful, well-written character study of the three central women. Their mental health issues and histories have obviously been well-researched and Kathleen Martin does an excellent job of showing various mental illnesses in their rawest and truest form. The scenes where characters are having breakdowns are superbly written and feel very accurate and honest. Unfortunately I was disappointed with the rushed and lackluster ending. I feel the last three pages lacked the care and diligence shown throughout the rest of the book. I almost feel short-changed that after knowing these three women so well, I only get a glazed-over version of what ends up happening to them.

The Stars Are Made Of Tears
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! Sorry to hear the ending was a letdown compared to the rest of the book. I had a similar experience lately, even though I loved the rest of the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the lovely review. Too bad about the ending.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
katz123
Bookshelf Size: 2
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Halleluiah Baby

Post by katz123 »

Thank you, Shelle, for your very thoughtful review of my book.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Beautiful review. Nothing spoils a great book like a weak ending.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

katz123 wrote:Thank you, Shelle, for your very thoughtful review of my book.
You're very welcome. You obviously have a heart for those dealing with mental illness and did a beautiful job of putting that on the page.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
inspiredbyrachel
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inspiredbyrachel.html
Latest Review: "Thousand Sinful Kisses" by Liam Levi

Post by inspiredbyrachel »

I love the title of this book it's very attention getting!! Great review too, sounds like a relatable and interesting book! That's too bad about the ending.
Latest Review: "Thousand Sinful Kisses" by Liam Levi
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you a well-written review! The plot does intrigue me. I'm sorry to hear about the ending, but I'm glad the rest of the book was enjoyable for you! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”