Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anchortoemilie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anchortoemilie.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

Post by Anchortoemilie »

I had a lazy day yesterday so I decided to pick up this short book and give it a go. To my delight, the book was captivating, intellectual, and witty, easy for me to polish off the entire thing in a day. This story is about a young southern girl who learns the challenges of death, abuse, neglect, and racism. Written in first person point of view, young Ellen Foster gives us a unique and endearing tale of what it's like to grow up in circumstances that are far from ideal. She overcomes adversity with integrity and compassion, allowing the reader to deeply connect with her. Ellen is undeniably likable and I found myself crying with her through the struggles, laughing with her through the pleasant surprises, rooting with her for the never ending hope of a happy ending. The writing style is praised in many other reviews, saying that Gibbons captured Faulkner's style with her own twist. Overall, I have no complaints or criticisms for this enchanting novel, and I recommend it to anyone who needs a short yet lively read.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”