Official Review: Wilkes by J.A. Harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Wilkes by J.A. Harris

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wilkes" by J.A. Harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wilkes: The Awakening is a novel written by J.A. Harris.

The story, told in the third person perspective, was about a man who woke up in Bay Leaf Park with no memory of who he was. Aside from a bottle of liquor in the pocket of his windbreaker jacket and a clear plastic bag of white powder in the other pocket, there was no other clue to his identity.

He eventually learned that he was called Damian Wilkes and that he was a bum with no family. His father disappeared when he was young, his mother died, he had no siblings and he was living alone in the same house his family used to live in.

What was mysterious, however, was his total demeanor, which was surprisingly different from what other people knew of him. For someone who was involved with criminal activities, his manner was impeccable. He was sincerely polite and he spoke like a highly educated person. Not only that, he was also adept in physical combat and seem to possess extraordinary physical attributes like strength and speed but had no idea how he could dodge bullet or jump over a speeding vehicle. In addition, he was guided by visions through dreams and trances which helped him survive in the unfamiliar world he found himself in.

Unlike other books about amnesia on which the character forgot his name and his past but kept his habits and mannerisms, Wilkes seem to be possessed by another person who was a better version of himself. That alone made the book very interesting and difficult to put down. The author was able to tell a fascinating story by making Damian move forward instead of obsessing with the past.

He introduced the concept of good and bad by expertly distinguishing the good guys from the bad. As Capt. Mc Dermott said ‘there are far more good ones than bad ones’ which applied not just to officers of the law but to ordinary people like meat vendors, shelter keepers and bus drivers. Another relevant issue that the author included was the decline of moral values as evident in the attitude of children towards the adults and the indifference the adults displayed regarding the disrespectful children.

Although Damian was the ideal protagonist: well mannered, polite, respectful and a real deal hero, plus tall, muscular and good looking, there were other secondary but worthy characters like Capt. Collin Mc Dermott, Senior Officer Fernando Hernandez, Joe Williams and Walt and Peggy Dunham. The settings, Irish Town and Malletville, were vividly described while dialogues were expertly written. Even the use of the vernacular language by the African American characters was very convincing.

However, I was not overly enthusiastic about the ending. It was probably a strategy of the author to get the reader interested in book 2 when he wrote down on the last page that it was the end of book 1, when there was no mention, in any part of the book, that it was a series.

Nevertheless, it would not be fair to give this well-written book a rate of 3. So, despite my initial disappointment, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy mystery novels with a little touch of action. However, the book contains language not suitable for young readers.

Wilkes
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book sounds interesting. I really love mystery and I love the amnesia angle. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CrescentMoon wrote:This book sounds interesting. I really love mystery and I love the amnesia angle. Great review!
Thank you very much. It is a great book.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! Sounds interesting and like it would be a good opener to a great series.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

definitely sounds interesting! Great review too :)
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! This book looks like something I would like, since I like amnesia storylines. Thanks for a thoughtful review.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Shelle wrote:Great review! Sounds interesting and like it would be a good opener to a great series.
Thank you very much. It is a very interesting book.

-- 28 Mar 2016, 16:52 --
Swiftmover07 wrote:definitely sounds interesting! Great review too :)
Thank you very much!

-- 28 Mar 2016, 16:53 --
bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review! This book looks like something I would like, since I like amnesia storylines. Thanks for a thoughtful review.
You're welcome. It is one very enjoyable book.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great job writing an insightful and well articulated review! This is an interesting take on the memory wiped and enhanced person. Is he used by government or other private agencies or are his actions self-motivated?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bluemel4 wrote:Great job writing an insightful and well articulated review! This is an interesting take on the memory wiped and enhanced person. Is he used by government or other private agencies or are his actions self-motivated?
Thank you very much. I think that's the most interesting part. His actions are self-motivated and he has high moral standards. At least that is how it appears in Book 1 :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting. Thank you for the lovely review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gali wrote:Sounds interesting. Thank you for the lovely review.
You're welcome. The book is very interesting.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review! Sounds like a very interesting topic. Out of curiosity, would you be following up with the next book in the series?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review! Sounds like a very interesting topic. Out of curiosity, would you be following up with the next book in the series?
I certainly will. The story is very interesting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”