Official Review: Return to the Dirt by Geoff Sturtevant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Return to the Dirt by Geoff Sturtevant

Post by Shelle »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Return to the Dirt" by Geoff Sturtevant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fans of the macabre, cerebral thrillers, or off-beat horror should line up for Return to the Dirt, a short story collection by Geoff Sturtevant. All three stories in this collection view death, and the business of dying, from completely different angles and keep the reader guessing with every turn of the page. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well-written, clever, and deals with the theme of death in surprising and relevant ways.

My favorite of the three was the first short story, The Technicians. This tale features two blue collar guys and their typical work day. They’ve become friends and do the jobs no one else wants to do. The senior member of this team is a seasoned pro, trying to teach his hesitant young apprentice the art of the craft. The storyline is twisty and dark, but it’s the relationship between the characters that really makes this story come alive. Days after reading this story, I am still thinking about it and the characters.

The second story in the collection, The Organization, takes on the issues of senior care, subsidized housing, and answers the question “Who pays for all of this?” Things have been running smoothly for years at the Colosseum Retirement Home. Low-income seniors are housed and cared for until they pass on. That is, until the grocery-delivery man, Mister Kevin, stumbles upon something much more sinister than neglect and bedsores. What follows is a wild ride deep into the underbelly of senior care and features cameos by former world leaders and B-list movie stars.

The phrase, “You are what you eat” has never been more relevant than in the book’s final story. Return to the Dirt deals with the universe-wide connections that bind us all together, and strips us down to our bare elemental components. Star-gazing, stoner-dude Chris wants to finally set aside his pot-smoking ways, join the workforce, and maybe even do a little growing up. Despite no work history or experience, he gets a job in food production and does well for a while, until his old ways catch up with him. Chris inadvertently becomes involved in a work cover-up and what he learns about his employer turns more than just his stomach.

All three stories in this collection are fascinating reads and deal with the same theme – death. I believe this book appeals to a wide audience; however I would warn readers that some scenes are quite gory and gruesome. I don’t believe the author used violence or descriptions of death and dying in an overly gratuitous manner, but they are quite graphic none-the-less.

Return to the Dirt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gsturt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gsturt »

Thanks Shelle!
Shelle
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

Gsturt wrote:Thanks Shelle!
You wrote a good book and should be proud! I was happy to have the opportunity to read and review.
-Garrison Keillor
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

great review! i might have to check this one out
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thoughtful, well-written review! Although I don't read a lot of short-story collections, you made this one sound so interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful, descriptive review! I was fortunate in getting this book for free when it was a book for the Book of the Day.You're review made me want to read the book even more so, and I can't wait to start! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Shelle

Post by Shelle »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful, descriptive review! I was fortunate in getting this book for free when it was a book for the Book of the Day.You're review made me want to read the book even more so, and I can't wait to start! :)
I'm hoping a lot of OBC members get to enjoy this gem! I think it could ignite a lot of good discussion.
-Garrison Keillor
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Shelle wrote:
hsimone wrote:Wonderful, descriptive review! I was fortunate in getting this book for free when it was a book for the Book of the Day.You're review made me want to read the book even more so, and I can't wait to start! :)
I'm hoping a lot of OBC members get to enjoy this gem! I think it could ignite a lot of good discussion.
That would be great! Who knows, it could end up as a Book of the Month discussion at some point. :)

-- 29 Apr 2016, 12:02 --

@Shelle and @Gsturt I actually couldn't wait and just finished reading this. Wow! This was a really good read! I'm pretty sure I was cringing and my mouth was left open during certain parts, but I couldn't stop reading!

Thank you, Geoff Sturtevant, for writing such a captivating book and for making it free to get a little while back. I'm glad I picked it! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I started reading this yesterday, and although I hadn't planned to read all of The Technicians in a single day, I kept going back for more. I do enjoy short stories, especially if they're as well-written as Sturtevant's book. I agree that there are "gory and gruesome" moments--and that's not my favorite thing--but it didn't stop me from finishing the first story. Congratulations to the author,and thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker

Post by barb429 »

Great review! I will have to add it to my list of things to read. I enjoy the "gory and gruesome", so this one would probably be perfect for me.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html

Post by MsMartha »

Just finished the book today. It's definitely a good read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”