Official Review: The Gloaming by Jody R. LaGreca

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Gloaming by Jody R. LaGreca

Post by Kia »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gloaming" by Jody R. LaGreca.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gloaming by Jody Riva LaGreca is an engaging story about how money doesn’t buy happiness. Margo Wellington has it all: money, beauty, and the perfect fiancé. But when tragedy strikes Margo is left pregnant and alone. Her family sends her to a home for unwed mothers, and it is decided that her brother Rich and his fiancée Chloe will adopt the baby once they are married. But how well will Margo adapt to the modest lifestyle at the home? And how well will Chloe adjust to marrying into money? Is being pretty and wealthy really the key to happiness?

LaGreca has created some very interesting contrasts within this novel. On one hand there is Margo; a young lady born to privilege. She is arrogant and conceited and used to the finest things in life. On the other hand is Chloe, who has barely a penny to her name and is extremely modest and very friendly. They are as different as can be when it comes to both wealth and personality. Throughout the novel however they both get a taste of the lifestyle that the other leads. When Chloe is doing her best to fit into her new role as Mrs. Wellington and Margo has completely acclimatised to the modest lifestyle at the home for unwed mothers, they are actually completely in each other’s shoes.

While the plot is intriguing, it was poorly executed. The biggest issue is that while the story is set in the late 2000s, it would be more believable if it were set as far back as the 70s or 80s. While the elite of New York surely have high standards for avoiding the condescending gaze of their class, it seems a little far-fetched that Mr. and Mrs. Wellington would seriously rather put their own daughter in a home for unwed mothers or throw her from the house than admit she got pregnant out of wedlock. The most unrealistic part of this though is that not only do none of the characters oppose the decision, every single one of them behaves as if it is the most logical thing in the world. This would be more believable were the story to be set a little bit in the past rather than the present.

Another big issue is the fact that Margo and both of her parents seem to be quite bipolar. For example, Margo behaves like a spoiled brat one second, repentant the next and then back to being a spoiled brat, all in one paragraph. Her parents can go from completely enraged one second to calm the next without any transition. Also, the dialogue throughout the novel seems forced, like the characters are extremely uncomfortable the whole time and their conversations are formal and flat as a result.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. While the concept of the plot is interesting, the novel was written in a way that made the story unbelievable, and the characters are often difficult to relate to. This novel would appeal to anyone interested in a story about the struggles of fitting into a family where image is everything, and personal relationships always come in second.

The Gloaming
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like Kia's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for a well-written review, Kia! I appreciate your honesty in your review. When you summarized the book, I thought the book sounded interesting, but after your notes, I'm apprehensive of trying it out. Hopefully your next review will be a bit better!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kia

Post by Kia »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for a well-written review, Kia! I appreciate your honesty in your review. When you summarized the book, I thought the book sounded interesting, but after your notes, I'm apprehensive of trying it out. Hopefully your next review will be a bit better!
I think that the author had a really great plot idea that was just poorly executed. Which is really too bad because the issues I had with the novel were all what I would consider to be easily fixable. There were just too many for me to really be able to enjoy the story.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kia wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you for a well-written review, Kia! I appreciate your honesty in your review. When you summarized the book, I thought the book sounded interesting, but after your notes, I'm apprehensive of trying it out. Hopefully your next review will be a bit better!
I think that the author had a really great plot idea that was just poorly executed. Which is really too bad because the issues I had with the novel were all what I would consider to be easily fixable. There were just too many for me to really be able to enjoy the story.
Hm...perhaps the author will fix these in order to improve the writing. I completely understand when flaws detract from the story.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kia

Post by Kia »

hsimone wrote:
Kia wrote:
Hm...perhaps the author will fix these in order to improve the writing. I completely understand when flaws detract from the story.
Oh for sure. I would love to try it again if some of these issues were fixed, though I know that's not a possibility.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”