Official Review: Welcome, Reluctant Stranger (Between Two...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Official Review: Welcome, Reluctant Stranger (Between Two...

Post by VinuW »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Welcome, Reluctant Stranger (Between Two Worlds, Book 3)" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The third book of the Between Two Worlds series, Welcome, Reluctant Stranger is a novel belonging to the contemporary fiction genre. Written by Evy Journey, it is a standalone novel, which follows the life of Leilani Torres, a therapist with a murky past. Through this fast paced story written in third person, Evy journey manages to weave a gripping story about life and love.

Eighteen years ago, nine year old Leilani Torres and her siblings were whisked off to America out of Costa Mora, a small Pacific island in turmoil. Her father’s absence and her mother’s reluctance to provide and explanation baffle nine year old Leilani. In a new country, equipped with a fresh beginning, she builds herself a new life, with the determination to forget her eventful past. Justin Halverson is a computer nerd, who takes pride in the amusing, composed exterior he maintains. But when his girlfriend of seven years leaves him, his self control slips away, and he finds himself in a shady part of his hometown, surrounded by thugs who threaten to take his life away. Justin is rescued by Leilani, and as their worlds collide, they realize that in order to face the future, they’ll have to accept the past experiences that shaped their present selves.

The novel places much emphasis on the past and the mysteries it holds. When the recent turn of events threatens to break the walls Leilani spent years trying to put up, she discovers that “the present had a way of putting people back to the past”. After all, Leilani’s childhood obsession of watching people and evaluating them is probably what led to her career as a therapist. The traumatic incidents her mother had to go through are what made her the unflappable person she is today.

Being an immigrant, Leilani worries that she’s “not as American as apple pie”, although she acts and speaks like one. The title of the series being ‘Between Two Worlds’, her struggle of finding her true identity is quite apparent. Relationships play a major role in Leilani’s journey of self discovery. The story reminds us that the most important people in our lives are met in uncanny moments. I felt that the characters of the story were well written; Justin was perhaps the most the most likeable character. I loved the tenacity and the positive attitude he maintained throughout the novel. How the characters came out stronger and wiser, after going through everything that threatened to break their relationships apart impressed me.

I would highly recommend this book to new adult (or even young adult) readers who enjoy romance and contemporary fiction. I believe that the dialogues would’ve been much more realistic if colloquial language was used in place of the somewhat formal writing style employed. The use of narrative language with descriptive language and imagery was successful in linking the storyline with the characters, scenes and the setting. That being said, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The story ends on a high note, reminding us that greater the storm is, the brighter the rainbow will be.

Welcome, Reluctant Stranger (Between Two Worlds, Book 3)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like VinuW's review? Post a comment saying so!
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very insightful review, VinuW. I particularly liked that you mentioned Leilani's greatest worries that she's "not as American as apple pie". This quotes tells a lot about Leilani.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! It sounds like a fascinating story with likable, well-developed characters.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. Leilani seems like a very impressive character. Great job on the review.
VinuW

Post by VinuW »

chytach18- wrote:Very insightful review, VinuW. I particularly liked that you mentioned Leilani's greatest worries that she's "not as American as apple pie". This quotes tells a lot about Leilani.
Thank you, @chytach18-. :) The quote also tells us a lot about the story.

-- 17 Mar 2016, 00:48 --

Thank you @LivreAmour217 and @kimmyschemy06 :)
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Great review! I love your descriptions of the characters and what you liked about them. This sounds like a very character-driven story which I like a lot.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
VinuW

Post by VinuW »

Thank you @CrescentMoon :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great and well-written review, VinuW! I like how Leilani seems like such a strong character. Also, I like your line, "...in order to face the future, they’ll have to accept the past experiences that shaped their present selves." I feel this is true in all of us, especially those who struggle with comprehending and accepting their past. Thank you for such an insightful review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I like the fact that it is a standalone novel though book 3 in a series. It is nice that Leilani’s childhood obsession of watching led her to her current profession. Good job on the review!

Congratulations to the author on the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

Great review, is all I can say, although a good story helps. Leilani s character seems very interestant and I can relate to her since im also not "as American as Apple pie", I look forward to know more of it.
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the nice review!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I love your review. At first I didn't think I would like this book but you totally convinced me. Leilani sounds awesome and o could totally relate to her! Thank you for an awesome review and congratulations to the author for the excellent review as well!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Excellent review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
arelireads
Currently Reading: Clockwork Princess
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arelireads.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by arelireads »

This seems interesting. I haven't known anything like what the synopsis and review says about it. ?
rod-n-stef
Bookshelf Size: 38
2024 Reading Goal: 471
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by rod-n-stef »

This book sounds like it will br very good. I love the mysteries that may unfold.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”