November Book of the Month

Welcome

  • Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#91  Postby MysFan » 04 Sep 2012, 05:48

Mr. Bishop - Yes we have to yield to reality, but even historical reality changes. Someone could sit down today and write a non-fiction book with facts that could be totally thrown out based on new discoveries. This has happened for religion as much as for other subjects.

And of course there are things people will always take on faith or personal belief. Like I believe that Camelot existed and that someday evidence will be found to support that. The alternative argument is that it is all fiction and only romantic legend. But when I think of that argument, I think of Troy. It was just a story drawn from Homer's imagination, but then it wasn't just a story told by Homer!!! And while there is no way to verify all of the story, and quite a bit is clearly embellishment, at least the existence of the site has been proven to be factual.

Many say that the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens can reveal nothing new. It has been mined and all has been revealed. Yep. But then there is something else discovered!!! Lots of this is as a result of new science that can "see" into the earth. Although of course Howard Carter did not have any of that when he found the biggest discovery of an intact tomb in history.

I am very aware that many read the Bible and see it as a work of complete non-fiction. To them it is the only truth. I cannot imagine how they can see it this way as there are hundreds of contradictions. But if there is faith, then all is true. For many this is not only the truth, but the only truth. Their beliefs do not allow for discoveries that uncover new chapters. They will not believe that parts of what is real history were hidden because it did not meet the demands of the times. Sadly for much of this material discovered, the stories are not real clear due to the quality of the documents. But even if they were written in current English (or an idividual's native language)...... It would not matter.

When you do publish be interested to read your material.
MysFan
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 14 Aug 2012, 14:20

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#92  Postby Mr- Bishop » 04 Sep 2012, 10:11

MysFan wrote:
When you do publish be interested to read your material.


That particular book was published last year. I have not listed any of my books here because I didn't read all the rules. Usually you have to participate on a forum for a while before doing so.
User avatar
Mr- Bishop
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 30 Aug 2012, 14:10

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#93  Postby JaCo » 24 Oct 2012, 16:26

Most of the best seller books are on the banned list. Something about being banned make the book a good reader!
JaCo
 

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#94  Postby Cerxi » 31 Oct 2012, 09:15

JaCo wrote:Most of the best seller books are on the banned list. Something about being banned make the book a good reader!

Haha, definitely. I myself like to trawl banned lists to find books to read sometimes.
On the topic though; I didn't find Da Vinci code to be a very, I don't really know what word to use so let's go with, convincing story. A lot of the logic jumps that solved the "ancient riddles" were either absurdly simple or just nonsensical, and a lot of the information is patently false, so that grated on me the whole book!
User avatar
Cerxi
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Oct 2012, 08:58

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#95  Postby MysFan » 31 Oct 2012, 16:21

Cerxi wrote:
JaCo wrote:Most of the best seller books are on the banned list. Something about being banned make the book a good reader!

Haha, definitely. I myself like to trawl banned lists to find books to read sometimes.
On the topic though; I didn't find Da Vinci code to be a very, I don't really know what word to use so let's go with, convincing story. A lot of the logic jumps that solved the "ancient riddles" were either absurdly simple or just nonsensical, and a lot of the information is patently false, so that grated on me the whole book!


This patently false information is what has so inflamed many. I think it has also helped the book sell millions more than it would normally have done. Frankly I can't tolerate the story that only men were involved in these times of historical significance. I am not saying that Mary was more, or that it is Mary in The Last Supper simply because the cleaning has revealed someone who looks very female. The dress back then was so unisex that it is hard to tell.

It was a good story, but I did not like the sequel at all. And I think my viewpoint is somewhat tainted by the choice of actors to play the part. Really, Tom Hanks?!!!

There have been many, many stories about various reads on these times and what "really" happened. I love history so much that I majored in it at college, and have read so many wonderful books portraying various versions of what really happened. But something I know about what is deemed real history is that it is based on someone else's viewpoint, even backed up by physical findings. That can be very biased.

And fiction, well that is just made up and loosely based on stories or fantasies of the author. Although someday, when we are either alive or long after, they may find some fo these fantasies to be true. Look at Troy?
MysFan
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 14 Aug 2012, 14:20

Re:

Post Number:#96  Postby JSchenk26 » 01 Nov 2012, 21:04

volcno-grl wrote:I totally agree. Its amazing how many great authors there are and nobody knows about them...then theres Dan Brown and just because his subject is controversial he is on the best seller list. he is ok don't get me wrong its just the more i read the more i realize that he really isn't as great as some people say



I love all of Dan Browns books. Da Vincible Code was the first I read and I thought they got better with each one that I read. His books that didn't get the hyper this one did were better.
User avatar
JSchenk26
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 Nov 2012, 20:51

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#97  Postby blewis15 » 26 Jan 2013, 21:23

I really liked this book. I did like the book much better than the movie, but that is always the case when they turn books into movies. I read this book in no time at all. I just enjoyed the historical aspects and the mystery of it. I enjoyed it.
User avatar
blewis15
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 Jan 2013, 20:52

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#98  Postby Megan Jevons » 11 Feb 2013, 13:30

I did enjoy this book, but it's largely overrated. I've also read Angels and Demons, and The Lost Symbol. They were pretty interesting too.
User avatar
Megan Jevons
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Feb 2013, 20:37

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#99  Postby Skydrake » 25 Feb 2013, 10:12

I read the book a few years ago when there was so much hype surrounding it. As a fictional book, I thought it was okay. Not great. Just okay. At the time I was surprised at the number of people that were viewing it as historical fact or feeling that Dan Brown was offering it as historical fact. It was even discussed in my Pastor's message at the church I was attending at the time. I wanted to shout "Doesn't anyone know what fiction means?" They weren't looking at it as fiction, so others wouldn't be able to. Maybe that inability, in itself, is why so many found it controversial and rocketed it to a bestseller list.
User avatar
Skydrake
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 22 Feb 2013, 09:25
Favorite Book: Emma

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#100  Postby booklvr62 » 25 Feb 2013, 11:48

I totally loved both the book and the film,and didn't feel it was 'hyped' at all,it was just all the ridiculous controversy because of the religious right wing having a fit over the story,despite Dan Brown saying repeatedly that it was FICTION and he did not intend anyone to take it as historical fact! I was even in the church at the time,but was not about to ignore that I had seen the author on TV and heard him say that it was a FICTION story. The same with the Harry Potter books,though I have only read the first one. But I thought The Da Vinci Code was very well written and a very exciting read.Didn't read Angel & Demons but loved that film as well.
User avatar
booklvr62
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 10:22
Location: North central Ohio-south shore of Lake Erie
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: Too many

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#101  Postby fay444 » 02 Mar 2013, 12:13

Skydrake wrote:I read the book a few years ago when there was so much hype surrounding it. As a fictional book, I thought it was okay. Not great. Just okay. At the time I was surprised at the number of people that were viewing it as historical fact or feeling that Dan Brown was offering it as historical fact. It was even discussed in my Pastor's message at the church I was attending at the time. I wanted to shout "Doesn't anyone know what fiction means?" They weren't looking at it as fiction, so others wouldn't be able to. Maybe that inability, in itself, is why so many found it controversial and rocketed it to a bestseller list.


:roll: I have to admit when I first read it I believed everything Dan Brown had written- secret societies, Mary Magdalene, symbolism in Da Vinci's paintings...the whole lot of it and actually it quite scared me. I started thinking that everything that we've ever been taught has some dark hidden meaning behind it. Then I remembered that it was just a book. A book offering to reveal the truth about some hidden secret. Everyone loves to be in on a secret- we all want to know the truth. Dan Brown used this to get readers and he damn well succeeded because there has been a big hype about it ever since.
User avatar
fay444
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 Mar 2013, 11:44

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#102  Postby BizAcquire » 03 Mar 2013, 18:42

I not like this Da Vinci Code,
although I'm agree this ebook written very well.
Brown take opportunity from grey area and get profit from soft controversial.
User avatar
BizAcquire
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 03 Mar 2013, 18:31

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#103  Postby heryhmk » 03 Mar 2013, 21:37

I actually enjoyed this book a lot! I read it in high school and was excited when they made the movie. I couldn't get myself to read Angels and Demons, though...
User avatar
heryhmk
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 02 Mar 2013, 11:43

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#104  Postby ouzal » 15 Mar 2013, 06:45

May be this book is not as thrilling as many of Dan Brown's other books, but I don't think it should be considered as an overrated book at least for one reason : the amazing mind blowing facts he exposes about Christianity and the way this religion was set up to fit with the pagan beliefs at the era of the emperor Constantine.
User avatar
ouzal
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 15 Mar 2013, 06:22
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Around the world in 80 days

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post Number:#105  Postby booklvr62 » 15 Mar 2013, 07:53

ouzal wrote:May be this book is not as thrilling as many of Dan Brown's other books, but I don't think it should be considered as an overrated book at least for one reason : the amazing mind blowing facts he exposes about Christianity and the way this religion was set up to fit with the pagan beliefs at the era of the emperor Constantine.


I am one who did find the DaVinci Code the most thrilling/exciting read that I had experienced in quite awhile,when I read it maybe a year after it came out... so around 2010,but as I was reading it with it being totally fiction in my mind,I missed the points you say it makes about religion and Christianity. Since recently becoming an ex-Christian,you have now made me want to read the DaVinci Code again,to see if I also catch that bit of history,which I would totally agree with,BTW, but probably ignored that info when I read it as a Christian,LOL!
Thank you for pointing this out,as I am now quite excited about having another good time with this very good book.Believe I will now also read Angels & Demons, as it was an excellent film.
User avatar
booklvr62
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 10:22
Location: North central Ohio-south shore of Lake Erie
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: Too many

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jasbir_pro and 1 guest

Navigation

Return Home » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum