Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dori
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dori »

Personally, I liked the book because of it's topic. However, I did enjoy Angels & Demons better.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
hbennoit

Post by hbennoit »

The problem lies on what you want to make out of the book. If you read it for your own pleasure, the book is not bad. but if you are going to take it out of context then you are in trouble. It is a fiction book, that's all.
Sattoof

Post by Sattoof »

Dori wrote:Personally, I liked the book because of it's topic. However, I did enjoy Angels & Demons better.
Same here
Batspice

Post by Batspice »

hbennoit wrote:The problem lies on what you want to make out of the book. If you read it for your own pleasure, the book is not bad. but if you are going to take it out of context then you are in trouble. It is a fiction book, that's all.
I completely agree. I approached all of Dan Brown's books with the attitude of just wanting to read a good story - and that is what I got. I enjoyed all of them and thought they were very easy to read. Unlike alot of folks they didnt inspire me to go searching deeper into any of the themes the books presented (esp Da Vinci Code).

I agree with other readers also who preferred Angels & Demons to Da Vinci - although they were similiar in a lot of ways, I found the former to be much more interesting.
babypinkcandygirl

Post by babypinkcandygirl »

i actually feel quite sorry for dan brown. he wrote a nice, little fictional mystery that was full of little clues and puzzles (and, even though i dont think he's shakespeare, i do find the pace of his stories spot on) then it exploded! yes, i think the book is over-hyped but that isn't his fault. anyway, there have been so many times when ive picked up a thriller or a muder-mystery and been utterly disappointed. i was quite pleased the da vinci code delivered what it promised and gave me a couple of days of pure escapism.

you wouldnt pick up a jackie collins thinking it was a jane austen. so why do the same with dan brown...? 7.5/10 :D
what's your top ten...?
Batspice

Post by Batspice »

I wouldnt feel too sorry for him - he's got international exposure and made an absolute mint from his books. With regards to Da Vinci Code too, I think he knew exactly what he was presenting to people - a mixture of fiction and facts - that it exploded out of all proportion has been to his advantage really.
Karen

Post by Karen »

It was a murder mystery, with the story of the holy grail as a background story, and much of the important information was left out.

I still do not understand how people can be so upset about the idea of Jesus Christ, having descendents. There is no real proof of any of the leaders in the bible. They've found what they believe to be the ossuaries of Jesus Christ's family. I think that everything boils down, to what we each individually believe!!!!! If people's minds can be easily swayed by a movie, or someone else's words, then they're not sure of their beliefs to begin with. I hope that's not too many folks!! I've been told that I'm stubborn, because I'm not easily swayed from my beliefs. What???
mikeajr4

Post by mikeajr4 »

I thought the DaVinci code was o.k., but I LOVED Angels and Demons, I was just caught on the edge through the whole book , not wanting to put it down because i couldn't wait to see what would happen next. exactley what I love about reading
HermeneuticSuspect

Post by HermeneuticSuspect »

I wouldn't consider a Dan Brown novel *literature*. For what it is, it's decent, however, the writing is terrible.
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

At first I could not get into this book at all. Then it sucked me in and I thought it was pretty good. The movie I spaced off during and began reading another book. The book was just better then the movie in my opinion. I am with Knightss 7/10.
starlit

Post by starlit »

i loved the book, but i definitely agree that it is over-rated.
because of the controversial topic and the publicity it got way more credit than it should have.
His research wasn't all that accurate either.
he did a good job, but not as good as some say.
Brown's writing style isn't the best in it.
But his other books are much better in regards to his writing.
geansecret

Post by geansecret »

When I read the Da Vinci Code I could not put it down! It was amazing!

--Gean
murali

Post by murali »

the book was very well researched...but the plot was kind of bad...save the research there is nothing else to the book..

nothing worth bragging about..
grocery store read...!!
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

inkcharmed wrote:I actually really liked it... :) But I thought that Angels and Demons was better, which no one really mentions.
I agree. Angels and Demons was better, and deserves to be mentioned more often than Da Vinci Code.
msllstarz

Post by msllstarz »

I completely agree, the book was very overrated. The story line itself was interesting enough to keep you reading, but it was not that well written, and defiantly not a book that should have been on bestseller lists for over a year.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”