Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alex_
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post by alex_ »

I really liked the plot, it's definitely a page turner!
hermione123
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hermione123.html
Latest Review: "Beyond MS Your Best Life" by Rosalie Richards

Post by hermione123 »

I loved this book and in my opinion it's so much better than inferno
Latest Review: "Beyond MS Your Best Life" by Rosalie Richards
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

Running contrary to the prevailing opinion in this thread, I admit that I love The Da Vinci Code. I know Dan Brown's writing has room for improvement, that he used the controversial subject matter to his advantage, and that he excels at writing static characters... but I love this book. I read it for the first time when I was 12 (which is probably not old enough to be reading about self-harm in the name of religion and Jesus having lain with someone, to use a Biblical euphemism), but I was completely swept up in the story, which is where Brown's strength lies. The book is very well-paced, I couldn't put it down, and it led to me picking up other thriller novels, which I have greatly enjoyed. I'm pretty sure there were points where I actually gasped aloud when I was reading it for the first time. And if you just enjoy it as being a work of fiction, the sensationalization of all the Holy-Grail-Priory-of-Sion stuff just becomes another aspect of what makes the book so interesting and absorbing. And despite the sensationalism, Brown has done his research, and I've picked up a lot of great dinner party trivia bits reading his books. His other novels can get a bit formulaic after you've read a couple, but especially as this was my first, I loved it for being the wild thriller ride it was and still is. I can still pick it up and enjoy reading it.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
JamesJohnson

Post by JamesJohnson »

Having caught the movie before the book, I didn't hold much hope for The Da Vinci Code and found it more difficult to erase the image of Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, but I was pleasantly surprised at the level of detail and research in the compelling book. Whilst it might not be the best book I have ever read, it's one of those books that people will be happy to have read! Fast Paced, and although not the best at points, nonetheless a thrilling novel! 7.5/10
mikenbel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikenbel.html

Post by mikenbel »

I felt that the Davinci Code was an engaging book. The settings in Paris, according to my mother who lived there for several years, were accurately depicted. I loved the worldly feel of the book.
Enijmas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Post by Enijmas »

Definitely a page turner. Some say that the book is overrated; I think that's just the movie, no matter how great an actor Tom Hanks is. I haven't quite made peace with Dan Brown's creation of an Alpha male character who changes his female supporting cast in every book, and I do feel that character development is rather lacking in all of the series; but that aside, it was a highly enjoyable read, with rich details, intricate connections with history and fast moving plot. (:
darkandstormyknight
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkandstormyknight.html

Post by darkandstormyknight »

Agreed with the static male with the interchanging female sidekicks. Having said that, I really love the mysteries and the story that Dan Brown creates, and they're always very clever, which I really appreciate. And I thought that the movie was very good as well.
stillnotspecial
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stillnotspecial.html

Post by stillnotspecial »

Da Vinci Code was an easy read, something you read in an airplane but its hype is very overrated. The plot is stupid and cliched and the research is done wrong and blotchy. It is a bad book which was extremely well marketed.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

thsavage2 wrote:Running contrary to the prevailing opinion in this thread, I admit that I love The Da Vinci Code. I know Dan Brown's writing has room for improvement, that he used the controversial subject matter to his advantage, and that he excels at writing static characters... but I love this book. I read it for the first time when I was 12 (which is probably not old enough to be reading about self-harm in the name of religion and Jesus having lain with someone, to use a Biblical euphemism), but I was completely swept up in the story, which is where Brown's strength lies. The book is very well-paced, I couldn't put it down, and it led to me picking up other thriller novels, which I have greatly enjoyed. I'm pretty sure there were points where I actually gasped aloud when I was reading it for the first time. And if you just enjoy it as being a work of fiction, the sensationalization of all the Holy-Grail-Priory-of-Sion stuff just becomes another aspect of what makes the book so interesting and absorbing. And despite the sensationalism, Brown has done his research, and I've picked up a lot of great dinner party trivia bits reading his books. His other novels can get a bit formulaic after you've read a couple, but especially as this was my first, I loved it for being the wild thriller ride it was and still is. I can still pick it up and enjoy reading it.
I partially agree. When I first read the book, it was because my mom was trying to make me feel better for having accidentally sold a bunch of my other books at a yard sale (she didn't know I wanted to read them again). I was thirteen or fourteen, and I remember thinking it was all right, but not the best. When I reread it, I was very annoyed that Dan Brown would present things that obviously weren't fact as though they were, and that the research was subpar. I now think that the story itself was good, but the writing was rather mediocre.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
TrishaK_1993

Post by TrishaK_1993 »

I have to agree that this book while a good book over all just wasn’t all that interest catching. I rember getting a little over halfway through it and almost getting rid of it and not finishing it. I just didn’t keep my interest. I did enjoy all the lore in the book thought I dont think that the authors goal was to present it as true fact though. I have read plenty of books that were vastly better I just feel it could’ve been done better and wasn’t that great over all.
MidnightAngel16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightangel16.html

Post by MidnightAngel16 »

I give it credit for being so well researched. I liked the book ok, but not the movie. I would have given it 3/5 stars
PillanReads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pillanreads.html

Post by PillanReads »

I loved it. I was so disappointed of the movie. I love Tom Hanks but my husband and I feel asleep half way into the movie and I have still not seen the end.
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

I read it right after Angles and Demons. To be honest, I didn't find anything different among the two. I am not talking about the story. I am talking about the writing and the suspense. He should've made it a bit different from his 1st book and now I am afraid to read next two books of this series.
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
yvettecathy

Post by yvettecathy »

I read this book and think the contra verse sounding it was so much for the advertisement of the movie. The book it self was refreshing, provocative, well written and very disscritive.
clockwork360
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Angels and Demons
Currently Reading: The visual Investor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clockwork360.html
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by clockwork360 »

I am an avid fan of Brown's books and can agree that the Da Vinci Code was more fictional than historical but the timing was right. It stirred up a lot of controversy which is always a plus. Not to get into a religious discussion, one has to wonder if Jesus lived more of a normal life during the periods not mentioned in the bible but I'm not going there for those trying to bite on that one lol. Anyhow, Angels and Demons was better. Richer plot, and more dynamic. Plus it had you more into the enjoyment of a good book aspect more so than trying to debunk some lie that the church was trying to cover up. I'm currently reading Inferno and that seems to be another great read. So if you don't have to be a great writer to do what he is doing count me in lol.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”