Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post by krisliz88 »

I read Da Vinci Code prior to reading Angels and Demons and I have to say that I honestly enjoyed reading Angels and Demons more. I think that Dan Brown's books, overall, make you think. The hype with the Da Vinci Code was really that it called into question the very foundations of Catholicism. People always think that there is some kind of conspiracy with the Catholic church. In turn, now you have a book that seems to back up every single foul thought that went along with these conspiracies. I have to say, though, that I respect Dan Brown as an author. To be able to put together a book based on a character that is very smart, you have to have a great amount of talent.
ishgirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ishgirl »

i don't really think its overrated..i just think it a topic everyone who is curious would want to read and find out if its real or no. i just realized there was was more fiction to it than historical but bits and pieces of facts
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Basically, anything by Dan Brown is just rubbish. If the Da Vinci Code was ridiculous, then Angels and Demons was just plain ludicrous!
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
csuigar
Currently Reading: Silence Breaking
Bookshelf Size: 855
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csuigar.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by csuigar »

I think the book gained lots of publicity over such a controversial subject. However, years before I read the Da Vinci code I read and enjoyed Digital Fortress and Deception Point which made me like Dan Brown. To me his plots are always thought provoking and of course there's intrigue. Like all book readers know, the movie very rarely if ever lives up to the expectation of the book and in this case the ending was changed so although I read Da Vinci code at least three times, I've only watched the movie once.
cathy_the_shy_girl17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-the-shy-girl17.html

Post by cathy_the_shy_girl17 »

i haven't read the book but i read some books of Dan Brown like Digital Fortress and Inferno and it was mostly connected in Rome...just saying...:-)
artem

Post by artem »

I watched the film before starting read book,and I was an impression bec. i fall in love on Robert Lengdon i love character like him,he very clever,smart.,and have a good sense of humor,also he has a perfect memory and analytic brain.I also read Inferno and Angels and Demons. I think author create a very interesting book with new information s about since of symvolick, and interesting historical place in Italy, also he give a food for brain to think about God ( On Da vinci Code) . I hope he the films studios create a film based on Inferno,and i hope the author of these impressing books will be non stopping to write.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I enjoyed reading this book and I think its one of Brown's better books. However, I agree that a lot of hype around this book can be attributed to the controversial topic it deals with. I think Angels and Demons was a better book than this one, and by far my favorite from Dan Brown books.
csuigar
Currently Reading: Silence Breaking
Bookshelf Size: 855
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csuigar.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by csuigar »

I had never heard of the concept of anti matter until Angels and Demons. The irony is how Ebola became a thing not long after Inferno was released.
mariajean_77
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariajean-77.html

Post by mariajean_77 »

The Da Vinci Code is not Dan Brown's best book, though it is very well researched and if you can appreciate that you might find it at least interesting. If you're interested in reading the best of Dan Brown, I would recommend Angels and Demons which is related to the Da Vinci Code. The movie is rubbish for both novels but it's difficult to find authors who put the level of dedication into their work that Dan Brown does. I think the level of hype and speculation that the books received surpassed what Mr. Brown was expecting, in an interview that I saw he simply wanted an intriguing book and didn't mean to cause the conspiracy theories that he did.
heartsonfire43
Favorite Author: Daniele Steele
Favorite Book: too many to mention
Currently Reading: Disclosure by Michael Crichton
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by heartsonfire43 »

Wonder why that book ever get to the shelves?
HMJones
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmjones.html

Post by HMJones »

I was a fan of his books until someone told me he doesn't even do his research. Ad then I realised - pretty much all of the plots are the same.
pallavi garg
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pallavi-garg.html

Post by pallavi garg »

Exhilarating, sudden twists and plots...don't know how much is truth and how much fiction but just loved the book...read it over and again many times. ...
misstbloo
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misstbloo.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by misstbloo »

I have read so many books that the ones I don't get excited about tend to fall into oblivion. With that being said, I will have to put Da Vinci Code in the category of "forgotten". I remember reading it and I remember the basic plot plus some details, but it didn't really stand out. I also remember that at the time, I was really into mysteries, so that is why I read it in the first place. I believe this book just blended into the stereotype of what a mystery is supposed to be.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
ManlyBookyWorm
Currently Reading: alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ManlyBookyWorm »

While I did enjoy reading the book, I have to say I wouldn't put it up there with some of the classic works or even in the same league as more recent writings of fiction. That being said the series has been enjoyable reads due to the fact the it seems very well researched. And although the movies don't hold up to the books I do look forward to the completion of this trilogy both on and off screen.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”