Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Orny
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orny.html

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post by Orny »

Indeed I like this book. My sister brought it home one day, to read it herself. I got curious and I started to look at the pages, here and there, and soon I found myself reading it. Finished it in less than 3 days. I found it to be very interesting, started to use my imagination and my own scheens. Didn't expect it to end like that, but I liked the fact that it made me read more and more to find out what's next. In few words, I am glad I read this book.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I wouldn't say it was overrated.

I loved the book. The movie was a let down, but I think it received the acclaim that it deserved. I never felt as though it was being shoved down my throat.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

Just picked up a couple of Dan Brown's books on a recent trip to the UK and this is next on my 'to read' list. I enjoyed the movie & am looking forward to seeing how the book compares.
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by miztree46 »

I really liked the Da Vinci Code. I thought the book was well written. It was a real page turner, so full of suspense. I was disappointed when I saw the movie though. I thought the writers could have done a better job with the scrip. I was also disappointed because I thought William Peterson from CSI should have played professor Langdon. I didn’t think Tom Hanks was right for the part.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
CMcGee
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmcgee.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by CMcGee »

I liked the Da Vinci Code and the rest of the books in the series because I enjoyed the tangents that it led me into such as decoding and then eventually into the world of geo caching. There are puzzle caches that can be very challenging and I really enjoy trying to solve them. So though the books of Dan Brown may have seemed to be rather cliche or a commercialized sell out, I think that it could be looked upon as a seed to which a wonderful tree has grown.
debbie smith
Currently Reading: Shadowhorn: Age of the Revenant
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-smith.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by debbie smith »

Interesting posts. It seems one really like Brown's writing or really is put off of it for various reasons. Not much middle of the roaders. I've noticed the same comments on other sites and book discussions. Personally I enjoyed all three of Brown's books that I have read. My favorite is Da Vinci Code, even with all the hype. The hype is why I picked it up to read, because many of my acquaintances said don't read it and I wondered why. The one book I would consider just ok was Lost Symbol. I am looking forward to reading Inferno also
CarrieWirick

Post by CarrieWirick »

Debbie I agree so far DaVinci my favorite of all and Lost Symbol not to much. It was hard to get through, had to begrudgingly finish almost just because I have really liked all to that point. Looking forward to the next. Happy Reading!
Carrie
debbie smith
Currently Reading: Shadowhorn: Age of the Revenant
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-smith.html

Post by debbie smith »

CarrieWirick wrote:Debbie I agree so far DaVinci my favorite of all and Lost Symbol not to much. It was hard to get through, had to begrudgingly finish almost just because I have really liked all to that point. Looking forward to the next. Happy Reading!
Carrie
Thanks Carrie, you too!
casper

Post by casper »

I'm not far into it yet but already at chapter 16 and not sure I like the short chapters. I know the scenes keep switching but I'm losing the sense that things are happening simultaneously. Also some of the background explanations are a bit lengthy - however, too much information is better than not enough I guess.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

It's been a long time since I read Da Vinci Code but I still retain memories of it being a great read, even though I have heard some sour grapes about the writing as is often the case in books that become big sensations. I make my own judgments, try to keep an open mind :).
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
Owl Johnson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owl-johnson.html

Post by Owl Johnson »

While it is a page turner, I agree that it's overrated to say the least.
casper

Post by casper »

Owl Johnson wrote:While it is a page turner, I agree that it's overrated to say the least.
Yes, I agree. I enjoyed the movie (as a movie) but expected a bit more from the book. I might read it again in a while in case I missed something.
Nreader8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nreader8.html

Post by Nreader8 »

The Da Vinci Code had me hooked until the end, but I agree that the best thing about the book was the topic, and not so much the actual writing itself. In the Dan Brown hierarchy of books I think The Da Vinci code falls in the middle being worse than Angels and Demons and better than digital fortress'; having read it after Angels and Demons I almost feel like Dan Brown's writing has a sort of formula, and everything becomes a tad more predictable after reading one of his books.
parrazgloria
Favorite Author: Rick Roiden
Favorite Book: Heros of Olympus Series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parrazgloria.html

Post by parrazgloria »

The book in general was okay, but I liked Angels and Demons more than the Da Vinci Code. This book was well plotted and was researched well. It had great details in it that I enjoyed. In overall the book was not the best I have read.
tired01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tired01.html

Post by tired01 »

sometimes there are big production movies that succeed and others that fail

Dan Brown reminds me of those; it is well produced and a lot of effort went inot making it interesting, but was it overproduced - I'm not sure.

I'm not a writer so admire the craft and he is one of the better ones

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”