Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tip the Bottle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tip the Bottle »

Media is overrated by the people who didn't or don't enjoy it and is underrated by those who love it the rest of us just don't understad what the big deal is.
Hazelrah

Post by Hazelrah »

I didn't buy the "shocking revelations" of DaVinci Code for one second, but I do enjoy that type of book: Treasure hunts thru ancient cities, long forgotten puzzles, etc. So I enjoyed that aspect of it (and the same for Angels and Demons and The Lost Symbol)

-Shane
Lapssone

Post by Lapssone »

One of my favorite books Smile
Nigella

Post by Nigella »

I loved the book a lot more than the movie. The book went slow and it was good to follow all the math/clue's which I enjoyed. The film just rushed through it.
Loveclassicbooks

Post by Loveclassicbooks »

This was definitely one of those books that I could not put down, and have since read all of Dan Brown's novels. The movie though was awful. Just too much of a story to capture in 2 hours on a screen.
Sarabell

Post by Sarabell »

Tmritz wrote:I have not read any other books by Brown. Are they similar in style?
I'd say that's an understatement! I read two of his books, then I found I HAD to read the others, just to see how formulatic they were... The answer? VERY. (I haven't read The Lost Symbol-- it was long before that was out that I read the others. I assume The Lost Symbol is a lot like the others. And I enjoy his writing style, but I already read it 4 times, that's enough for me. lol)
inkcharmed wrote:I actually really liked it... :) But I thought that Angels and Demons was better, which no one really mentions.
That's so funny, because I ALWAYS hear people mention that they liked Angels and Demons better! Seriously, always. lol I liked DaVinci Code better, but probably only b/c I read it first, and I found them SO formulatic, that the first time was the time the novelty was most enjoyable for me.
babypinkcandygirl wrote:i actually feel quite sorry for dan brown. he wrote a nice, little fictional mystery that was full of little clues and puzzles (and, even though i dont think he's shakespeare, i do find the pace of his stories spot on) then it exploded! yes, i think the book is over-hyped but that isn't his fault. anyway, there have been so many times when ive picked up a thriller or a muder-mystery and been utterly disappointed. i was quite pleased the da vinci code delivered what it promised and gave me a couple of days of pure escapism.

you wouldnt pick up a jackie collins thinking it was a jane austen. so why do the same with dan brown...? 7.5/10 :D
I tend to agree! I don't overthink it. DaVinci Code kept me on the edge of my seat like not a ton of books have done. Sure, it's a bit of brain candy (& after reading his others, as I've mentioned, I find him formulatic), but it was FUN reading! That's enough for me sometimes, you bet!
Scottbuda

Post by Scottbuda »

I prefer Angels & Demons. Although Paris is such a beautiful city. I did enjoy visualizing it as I read the DaVinci Code.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Scottbuda wrote:I prefer Angels & Demons. Although Paris is such a beautiful city. I did enjoy visualizing it as I read the DaVinci Code.
You should read Michele Giuttari ... he does for Florence what Dan Brown does for Paris. 'A Florentine Death' & 'A Death in Tuscany' are brilliant.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

You can pick up these films so cheap nowadays and it just reminds me that i think Da Vinci Code was superior to Angels and Demons in many ways.
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:You can pick up these films so cheap nowadays and it just reminds me that i think Da Vinci Code was superior to Angels and Demons in many ways.
I still think the closing scenes in Angels & Demons was awsome
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Zekes

Post by Zekes »

This book maybe over rated but I still love it. Its well research that it can make you also think twice about the fact that's stated here. I love how Dan Brown make a good twist on this story. I mean he's really good at making people confuse and think.
Wendychang

Post by Wendychang »

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought The Da Vinci code was one of the most overrated books I've ever read. Take away all the religious and mystical stuff and it's nothing but a typical formulaic chase thriller with cardboard characters.

Brown has a basic formula in all of his books. There's almost always a female character who has father issues and uses an authoritative, smart male as a father substitute. At least one or two totally evil psychotic villain characters with strange body mutilation fetishes. Figures who are supposed to be trustworthy who turn out to be villians. Lots of technical or mystical mumbo jumbo.

In short, it's pulp fiction with pretensions. But that's me. YMMV.

:D
KB92

Post by KB92 »

I'm kind of surprised that so many people had issues with this book! I read it in just a few days because I thought it was really well done. I think it was a little far fetched, but it is a fictional book so I didn't put that much focus into it. Just because it used real life and familiar names, art, and references doesn't mean it has to be a realistic book. I enjoy his writing style because it moves really quickly. He never spends too much time describing things that the reader doesn't really care about.
Having said that, I do think that Angels & Demons was significantly better. I liked the topic more, I liked the religious and historical references more, and I enjoyed how there was a time restriction in the book that Langdon had to follow.
I have not seen the film based off The Davinci Code, but I did see Angels & Demons and absolutely hated it so I will not watch the other movie. Very disappointing!
Richard Kane

Post by Richard Kane »

Hi everyone,

The Day Time was Hacked is nothing comparable to the DVC. This author has been inside the Vatican, inside the secret archives and all, as we read in his bio. Wow. Don't believe Dan Brown has set a foot inside this part of the Vatican...

All those historic details blending into multiple story streams and ending in one big unexpected surprise... It is an incredible good read, and all those plot twists and turns make it a real mind bender, and it is still more SF than a DVC look alike.

Anyway, nothing wrong with the DVC, Dan has singlehanded created a whole new book segment! Chapeau!
MatDatPhatKat

Post by MatDatPhatKat »

Absolutely. I think that, if the book hadn't been hyped so much, I might have felt ok about it, but I wouldn't have rushed out to buy any of his other titles. People who say 'The Da Vinci Code' is the best book they've ever read have obviously not read that many books.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”