Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarah_9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarah_9 »

Hello,

I agree with you, though it is great to read, but much hyped.

Regards,
sarah_9
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

LinkPromo wrote:Anyone else think this book is massively over rated?

Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it, but I just think a lot of the buzz was just hype because of the topic.
I do think that it was slightly over-sensationalized. Personally I feel that Angels and Demons was a much better and more interesting book.
jtothero

Post by jtothero »

Nichod wrote:
LinkPromo wrote:Anyone else think this book is massively over rated?

Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it, but I just think a lot of the buzz was just hype because of the topic.
I do think that it was slightly over-sensationalized. Personally I feel that Angels and Demons was a much better and more interesting book.
A lot of people feel this way as well. Personally I tried to read Angels and Demons, but I didn't like it as much because it seemed to have less historical information (less facts) as Da Vinci Code. Maybe I didn't try hard enough though...
mplwdscribe

Post by mplwdscribe »

Even it it was the greatest book ever written, the amount of hype it generated set people who came to it after a certain point up for disappointment. No doubt the same thing happened with Harry Potter and various other runaway hits. I try to judge each book I read as if its a new discovery I and I alone have made, to judge it not on its sales history or buzz about the movie adaption, but simply on its own merit. With that said, I have to say that I found The DaVinci Code to be a highly enjoyable read, the very definition of a page turner. Dan Brown held his own with other highly addictive authors such as Michael Crichton and John Grisham to name a couple. I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories and for holy grail stories. If you are as well, and if you judge this book strictly by its ability to keep you absorbed and entertained, I don't see how you can fail to enjoy it. That doesn't make it War and Peace, but then again, to date I've yet to make it through W&P.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

I loved the book, specially the plot was well-planned and organized. Haven't read Angels and Demons but I have read The Digital Fortress. Di Vinci was for sure better than Digital Fortress.. I would not say Di Vinci Code was overrated, afterall hype is created if something is liked so much by masses at one time, so Dan Brown did a fantastic Job altogether.
majinka

Post by majinka »

I personally found the Da Vinci code well written and highlighted the historical facts about The Templars and Mary Magdalene. But if you want to read the historical facts behind the Da Vinci Code try reading The Secret History of Christianity then you may appreciate The Da Vinci Code more.
MrDumluck

Post by MrDumluck »

I thought the Da Vinci code well written, but it makes light of my church!
majinka

Post by majinka »

The Da Vinci code has certainly brought light into the church, it has made readers like us think and we are discussing things that were previously taboo. Dan Brown opened a door to let in some light. Now read The Secret History of Christianity or the Marian Conspiracy to understand what Dan Brown was really writing about.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Very true!
Dennis Grey

Post by Dennis Grey »

If you Liked the Da Vinci Code and the way it broke open the church, here's a book that is kind of similar, but succeeds in not coming off as an cheap remake. The story differs a lot and this book has more science fiction in it, but I think most followers of Dan Brown will like it, it's named 'The Day Time Was Hacked' by Carel Mackenbach. I started a thread on it yesterday on this board, definitely worth reading.
B-fly

Post by B-fly »

I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and I even didn't watch the movie. I started it but it was not very good in my opinion. Angels & Demons was very good too. I was surprised to see he has published only 5 books.
Aspasia

Post by Aspasia »

Like many others, I also enjoyed Angels and Demons better.

I agree that The DaVinci Code was so popular because it had a shock factor in regards to Christianity.
Rose ann

Post by Rose ann »

I really admire Dan Brown for his writing skill.

He did a lot of research regarding his craft and uses idiomatic expression and grammars which will teach us and expand our vocabulary knowledge.
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

I didn't like the book at all. The style of the writer is terrible and I didn't even find the whole story exciting. It's on my "crap books" list.
Nickywilliam

Post by Nickywilliam »

Yes i agree,I absolutely like that book it was so unique to have and i really enjoy reading this kind of topic.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”