Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
blue_doona32
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blue_doona32 »

I like the way Brown crafts his text to make it somewhat interesting to readers. I thought Angels & Demons was so much better than the first one, but I really liked the Grail theme in the first book (of course, I love anything that has to do with finding the Holy Grail e.g. Third Indiana Jones Movie :D ). I don't think the movie was as good as it should have been, and I'm hoping A&D will be better put together.

Having said that, I do think that Brown could have turned up his writing a little because I got the sense of adventure that his slipped in there, but it was very weak, and that's what I like in a good book.
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
hpkid18

Post by hpkid18 »

I'm Catholic, my parents read it, and thought it was great. I picked it up off the shelf, asked my parents about it (I was slightly informed of the...issue.) they said sure, and I read it. Whoa, big deal. Obviously us teenagers have a hard time judging the difference between Fiction and Non. Right.

I thought it was one of the greatest books I have ever read, (though Harry Potter still holds Number One. xD) and I found the religious material that was thought of as (for lack of a better word) bad actually very interesting and a great addition to the story. So read it, if you get the chance.

Just a warning, some of the material may be a little inappropriate. (Not trying to be all parental about it, but I'd rather not have a bunch of eight year olds asking me my views on the story. xD)
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

I usually dont' talk about this book - too many fans and non-fans alike are way too passionate about it - but since this is a book reading forum, I figure that surely there are some other folks out there who can be objective about it.

As a book, I wasn't a fan. It was featured in Family Guy and Lois was talking about how the chapters are so short so that when you read it you feel like you've made a lot of progress. I thought that was pretty spot on. It was short and not very well written, I thought. Reading it, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was written specifically for folks who don't really like to read, who would rather watch movies and get information in bullet form instead of an essay, if you know what I mean. Very... Pulp, I guess.

This isn't to insult the fans, I'm just saying that I wasn't a fan.
LawnTamer

Post by LawnTamer »

I liked Angels and Demons better. Da Vinci Code was the same book really, just a different puzzle, think about it. Girls dad gets killed, Robert gets woken by a weird call and ends up being whisked to the scene where he has to follow ancient clues to solve a riddle, falls in love with the bereaved girl. Replace the assassin with the albino, the betrayal by a trusted one at the end. Same book, different name.
forester

Post by forester »

Yes! Angles and Demons read kinda the same as well!
baconpatroller

Post by baconpatroller »

I liked the book and thought the movie was okay. Of course, it's cool to dis popular fiction, but it's a good entertaining read and not too long so you don't even need to waste too much time reading it.
xhytah

Post by xhytah »

One of my favorite books :)
wisar500

Post by wisar500 »

Instead of the Da Vinci Code, read Angels & Demons, that's a great book!

Unfortunately, also that book will have a movie coming out next year. I say unfortunately, because if I have read the book, I don't like to see a movie that could change the picture of the characters I had. Or other way around, people who have seen a movie of 90/120 minutes won't make an effort to read a great book.
futureperfect

Post by futureperfect »

Pappy wrote:As a book, I wasn't a fan. It was featured in Family Guy and Lois was talking about how the chapters are so short so that when you read it you feel like you've made a lot of progress. I thought that was pretty spot on. It was short and not very well written, I thought. Reading it, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was written specifically for folks who don't really like to read, who would rather watch movies and get information in bullet form instead of an essay, if you know what I mean.
Couldn't of said it better myself! :D
One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret
jv08

Post by jv08 »

Da Vinci Code was a good book. But Angels and Demons are much better.
rondonn

Post by rondonn »

Entertaining, but not a real eye-opener.

When it comes to the more private things going on 2000 years ago, I found a free e-book that has it all over the Da Vinci Code. Google “Gospel Enigma” to find it. Not a thriller, but quite informative and highly engaging.

A Harry Potter like hero and his preschool little sister interpret the Bible on their own! They use ordinary common sense to challenge 2000 years of questionable theology. It’s innovative and fun, with some rather surprising content.
Limotek

Post by Limotek »

I thought the book was very good, well researched and kept me interested throughout. The film however was awful and I'm glad I read the book first.

I prefered reading Deception Point however and think this is Dan Brown's best book so far.
aykoola

Post by aykoola »

LinkPromo wrote:Anyone else think this book is massively over rated?

Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it, but I just think a lot of the buzz was just hype because of the topic.
i totally agree. This book and the reaction to it is the main reason why i don't like reading books involving conspiracy theory themes anymore.
loladarling

Post by loladarling »

I can only wonder at how much better a book it would have been in the hands of a great writer. The premise was good but Brown might as well be a sitcom writer for all the talent he has. Angles and Demons was better but don't waste a second on any of his other work
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

I think it's not as great as Crime and Punishment or other great books. I think in a few years, it will be forgotten. It's good but it's not a "classic" piece. . .

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”