Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post by soccerstar95 »

I read the book when I was 9 and didn't understand most of it. Reading it when I was older, I understood a lot more. Either way, though, I found the information interesting, if not completely accurate. All of the Robert Langdon books do have a similar style and technique, although I will continue reading them just because I like the history thrown in there.
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot
emmy00369
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy00369.html

Post by emmy00369 »

From what I saw ,this book is a very smooth way to get the people out of the sight of the real true .It presents a theory in fact
,a theory like a lot others,but this one is just a little bit bigger .I think this is a way of making wealth,because the book
gets your attention,and it sounds good,so,why not considering to read it ?
dream reader

Post by dream reader »

There are various kinds of authors (Not the only two kinds i mention here but just for the sake of it) - Those who write a piece of 'Art' , something you can just feel and connect to, and those who grip you by your arm on the very first page and you can't stop and go on reading. Dan Brown has been doing the second stuff. He may not have been the greatest author of all time, he may not be the best author of our age too, but one thing he is really good at, and we got to admit it - he would grab you from the very first page. I'm not a keen fan of Dan Brown,but that one quality of his..literature if I may say is what makes most people read his work, apart from he picking up controversial topics
Caz1+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

I only managed to finish this book as I was on holiday and it was the only book I had with me. Hard to get into, and a bit of a let down after the hype
dream reader

Post by dream reader »

Agreed that this is not his best novel, but more so because it got over hyped, which sets much higher expectations before reading begins and those over hyped expectations may not be lived up to till you reach its end. So I'd say, not the best, but still worth a read, more so if you don't much care about the hype and stuff and read a thing without pre-conceived notions.
hansie

Post by hansie »

the davinci code was good from the standpoint of mystery but really has to much religious superstition that is not factual
and plays on the drama of that
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

hansie wrote:the davinci code was good from the standpoint of mystery but really has to much religious superstition that is not factual
and plays on the drama of that
Nobody, not even Dan Brown, claimed it was factual ... :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I thought the entire book had a Hollywood feel to it, like it was written to be a movie script. I enjoyed it and it was well reaearched but it is not his best work.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
sp8+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sp8.html

Post by sp8+ »

absolutely amazing read 8)
VanessaCherie21_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessacherie21.html

Post by VanessaCherie21_ »

I also think the book was a little overrated, but I thought it was well-written and an enjoyable read. I liked the history that was incorporated and the amount of thought put into the book. As for the movie, I thought that too much of the story was implied. I went to see it with someone who had never read the book and they were confused about some of the plot points.
rowoody

Post by rowoody »

When I sat down to read this book a couple years ago, I found myself doing 2 things. 1) At some points I was skimming over the pages. 2) At other times I couldn't help but flip the page to see what happened next. Overall, I think it was a decent story. Could it have been better? Sure, but it still kept my attention long enough to finish and actually enjoy the story.
Pratham143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratham143.html

Post by Pratham143 »

The story and research is extremely well. But his writing tactics are sadly lacking.
APoohW

Post by APoohW »

I disagree, I felt the book "Da Vinci Code" was a great book. Here's why, when you read it did you know the answers to the plot right away. No you had to go through many challeges to get to the end. People like challenges that is why "Soduku", "Angry Birds", and "Crossword Puzzles" are so popular. This book from begining to end was a giant puzzle, and the author Dan Brown in my opinion did a masterful job on capturing your attention from the very first page and keeping it until the last page. Also the fact that he did an excellent job on his reaserch. To me that is what makes a book great. Yes there is some disbelief, but isn't that why we read to escape reality not to embrace it? If I can figure out the plot in the first few chapter's then why read or better yet buy the book. If I can stand in a bookstore read two chapters and know exactly what's going to take place then I really don't need to buy the book That's reason I don't read or buy maney romance books,, you know exactly what's going to happen; boy meets girl they hate each other, than somothing happens to draw them together, then they fight about a difference in opinion about some situation, and then its all about them getting back together and living happily ever after. BORING :roll: ! But in the " Da Vinci Code" the plot just kept building, and building, and building, until the very suspenceful climax. That to me is a great read :P , in fact I read that book in 24 hours because I could not put it down.

As for Dan Browns writing style I dont know if it is correct or not, as you can tell by this post my grammer stlye is not the greatest. Again in my opinion buy the book.
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

I thought this book was well researched, and unique (at least from what I have ever read). I loved how the book kept to the importance of the story, and didn't get side tracked by petty love stories etc. It was an interesting read, but by no means the best book ever. The movie was garbage!
bearreader1234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bearreader1234.html

Post by bearreader1234 »

I enjoyed book and movie both. Though I was more impressed with HOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL, and the massive amount of research Lincoln, Leigh and Baigent did over some twenty years. Still, Da Vinci Code was exciting to read, and the story's implications, fact or fiction, rattled down dark monastic corridors around the world.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”