Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daeja
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daeja.html

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post by Daeja »

I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code. It was one of the first big hype books that I read while I was aware of the hype. I liked the ties into history via cultural objects and locations, despite how manipulated these were for the purposes of the story.

The writing style is quick and breezy and there's something about it that I can't quite love, but that's ok.
caburden
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caburden.html

Post by caburden »

I enjoyed Dan Brown's books. Is he the greatest writer? No. What he did for me, was make me think. That is why i enjoy his books. A lot of books seem to just be the same crap with different names. At least he did something a little different.
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Post by LunaRowan »

I love Dan Brown's Robert Langdon novels- I've read and enjoyed all three. Bur I've also read a lot of equally good books of the same genre that could support the fan base and popularity of Brown's novels if they were given the chance for similar levels of mass-production and fanfare Brown was able to get from his books. Until the Da Vinci Code movie was introduced, I had only heard of Dan Brown in passing and only glanced at his books on the store shelves. I think the author's success really took off with the production of companion movies with well-known actors much in the same way as Twilight and to a lesser degree, Harry Potter. If they didn't have other forms of media to spread the stories, I think Dan Brown and his novels would just be another writer on the bestseller list.
aetelfer

Post by aetelfer »

I found that Da Vinci Code was okay. Dan Brown did his research, so that was good. But the book was overly hyped in the main-stream. And the writing was good, but not great.
Book Drifter
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-drifter.html
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith

Post by Book Drifter »

Da Vinci Code and the rest of Dan Brown's books are a bit of a let down if you have visited and walked the streets of the cities he bases his novels in. I didn't like anticipating every move and ending up being right! But they are okay to read on long flights, trains, nothing-to-read situations. After all he does do his research for sensational material well.
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith
Treeeeeesha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treeeeeesha.html

Post by Treeeeeesha »

I have never read this book but I watched the movies.... anyways, is the book well portrayed in the movie? :D :D :D

-- 20 Nov 2013, 08:55 --

I have never read this book but I watched the movies.... anyways, is the book well portrayed in the movie? :D :D :D
ajit412

Post by ajit412 »

I saw the movie it has twists and hidden puzzles but i still prefer to read books that gives you better idea of the story.
I like Dan Brown as an author he has the talent of writing great books.
mazarellirp
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Echo

Post by mazarellirp »

I liked the book ... but like many of those who've commented ... I like Angels & Demons better. Neither movie captured the suspense of the books. If you like the subject matter I recommend an earlier book by David Morrell called "Covenant of The Flame".

-- 13 Dec 2013, 22:30 --

I liked the book ... but like many of those who've commented ... I like Angels & Demons better. Neither movie captured the suspense of the books. If you like the subject matter I recommend an earlier book by David Morrell called "Covenant of The Flame".
carskae

Post by carskae »

The Da Vinci Code was a fun adventure of a book but to be perfectly honest, I cannot remember a single detail of the book. It was fun, but not necessarily as amazing as it was hyped up to be. Definitely an enjoyable read.
anshu 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anshu-14.html

Post by anshu 14 »

I have read 4 books of Brown. Though the style and climax is almost similar, the storytelling is gripping and keeps you turning pages. Even if the content may seem irrelevant to some, the books surely have entertainment value especially to those who are new to reading
tiffanyking75

Post by tiffanyking75 »

I think that this book was well researched however, i did not enjoy this book... it was a ok book if i has nothing else to read at all but i felt like i spent a eternity reading it!
marissamace92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissamace92.html

Post by marissamace92 »

I have this book, but amazingly, haven't read it yet! I'm looking forward to it though.
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

I did enjoy reading this book, but I do think the hype was mostly about the topic when it first came out. I thought it was written in a way to keep the reader coming back, and I personally liked it because I have a soft spot for anything historical. I did also read Angels and Demons, enjoyed that one too.
fishbish4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fishbish4.html

Post by fishbish4 »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and thought it seemed well researched. I do not know how accurate some of the details are, but they certainly get you thinking. I find the storyline very interesting, but it could have been better written. Brown is a decent author, but there are definitely better. Either way, I still enjoy his books. Rating: 7/10
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

It was an amazing idea though and opened the floodgates to other, similar books.

He created a whole new genre and you have to respect that I think.

Agree, stylistically, it did leave much to be desired and the narrative was both plodding and repetitive on occasion...but the over-arching them was very, very clever.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”