Official Review: Mischief on the Mountain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dprice811
Currently Reading: Night and the Cat
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dprice811.html
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi

Official Review: Mischief on the Mountain

Post by dprice811 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mischief on the Mountain" by Rebecca Monhollon.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucy is a timid 11-year-old when her cousin Macy comes to live with her family in their log cabin. Immediately Macy gets Lucy into trouble and the story unfolds from there. One misadventure leads to another and there’s rarely a dull moment for the two young Appalachian girls. These misadventures typically result in some kind of bodily injury incurred from the likes of fights, falling from trees and attempting to baptize a cat. Yes, you read that right.

The story is set near Gatlinburg, Tennessee, sometime in the distant past. A specific time period is never named but judging by the description of dress and wagon use, and the fact that the book is based on the author’s grandmother, we can judge it to be near the early 1900’s or so. Also, it is mentioned that the formation of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park was being talked about. A bill wasn’t signed for its establishment until 1926, so we have a rough estimate of timing.

I was interested in reading this book because I live in East Tennessee, not far from Gatlinburg and other areas that are mentioned in the book. While I did not grow up here, I have lived here since high school and my husband is from East Tennessee. A book about early Appalachia had a personal draw for me.

I am sorry to say that I found the story lacking in proper editing, as well as plot and character development.

I would not recommend this book if grammatical errors bother you. To be perfectly honest, it does not appear that the text was proofread or edited at all before publication. There are numerous punctuation errors, as well as repetition.

Here is an example from the text:

“Lucy screamed as a locust landed on her shirt. Its prickly legs held on to her shirt while its bulging red eyes stared at Lucy. Her mother swatted it off her shirt!”

If this paragraph doesn’t bother you, you may enjoy the book. Read on, by all means.

Then there is the issue with overuse of Appalachian dialect which makes it difficult to read and hard to relate to. I understand some dialect is necessary to get a sense of how the locals speak but when overdone, reading it is excruciating.

For example:

“Them whip’o’will’s go ta hollerin’ and they heered the screech owls. I reckon they git’s real skeered when them night birds starts a hollerin’.”

The point is, tone it down. Pick a few words to emphasize and leave the rest to standard, coherent English.

Onward to the plot! If you like a book with a point, this is not the book for you. First, the story is lacking growth. It is one calamity after another, devoid of a climactic event or turning point. In other words, the same basic things happen over and over with the same basic outcome.

Finally, the characters lack growth. While they engage in numerous activities that could have gotten them killed, as well as being downright nasty to the other characters in some circumstances, there is no recognition of a lesson learned. They just keep doing the same thing expecting different results, which is as we know, the definition of crazy. We all love those great stories about people who get into scrapes at the drop of a hat but something has to tame the chaos, such as a dynamic character or a light bulb moment.

Main characters can be mean, ornery, silly, sullen, etc., but they have to be likable on some level. This helps the reader to relate to and care about the main character. If the reader ceases to care about the character (if they ever did in the first place), they lose incentive to continue reading.

While I was reading this book, I quickly became frustrated with Lucy getting bit, swatted, and scratched by numerous animals and bugs as well as complaining more than was necessary. Then we have Macy, who has nothing better to do than get Lucy into trouble by nearly drowning her, dropping a tree top on her, starting unnecessary fights, stealing from an old lady...you name it. To top it off, Macy repeatedly vows to get even with various other characters, even when she is the one that instigated the problem. One could be kind and say she is merely mischievous...but her character does not read as much mischievous as it does vindictive and conniving. There just isn't much to endear either of the main characters to the reader, and that is unfortunate.

On the upside, (yes, there is one) there is not a lack of action and the characters show some loyalty to each other and family, which is commendable. It is possible a child might enjoy reading it, though I don't consider the girls, especially Macy, to be great role models. It should come with a “Don't Try This At Home” warning.

To conclude, the book was not well written. The story could have been redeemed through proofreading and proper editing and through developing the characters to show some growth and/or dimension.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I give it this rating because it is possible that some may enjoy the story.

Mischief on the Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like dprice811's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. Too bad, though, about the flaws. I admit redundancy in a book can be quite frustrating and I agree about the local dialect needing to be toned down. Good job on the review.
p1b1+1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by p1b1+1 »

I think Myschief on the Mountain is a wonderful book , but to appreciate it you would have to understand the Old Kings English. I think this book would make a wonderful movie! Lucy and Macy are fun loving two little girls who are constantly into mischief! I think the book is very well written and the author keeps your interest by weaving the story around the mountains of Applachia. I felt there was very few repetitions and very well edited!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Well-written, honest review! I was hoping this would be a Little-House-meet-turn-of-the-century-Appalachia and fun to read with my two daughters. I think I'll pass and we;ll try something else.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Awesome review! I especially loved your use of excerpts from the book to back up your points. The book seems promising on the surface, but grammatical errors drive me crazy, so I think I'll have to pass this one up.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very honest review, dprice. I agree with you completely that when we read about some mischievous behaviour, especially if the book is written for children, that behaviour should have some justification. It also should be shown as a journey to the character's development (something which is missing in this book). You also wrote: "Then there is the issue with overuse of Appalachian dialect which makes it difficult to read and hard to relate to. I understand some dialect is necessary to get a sense of how the locals speak but when overdone, reading it is excruciating". I am currently reading a book full of words from one of South Asian languages. The book is fantastic, but at times I feel I miss something because I don't understand the meaning of some words. I think authors should think about their readers when they use foreign language or dialect and try not to overuse them.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”