Official Review: Dad, Wanna Be Our Manager? by J.B. Errico

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Official Review: Dad, Wanna Be Our Manager? by J.B. Errico

Post by ChrisKauf »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dad, Wanna Be Our Manager?" by J.B. Errico.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dad, Wanna Be Our Manager? By J. B. Errico

Genre: other fiction, baseball is the main theme, interpersonal relationships also come into play

“Bernie Endino lives in a little, blue collar Pennsylvania town.” Bernie is a bank accountant and a big baseball fan. His position at the bank is a way to make a living but baseball is his passion. Bernie shares this passion with his dad, Johnny. They regularly attend the local team’s games. Unfortunately, the team is not playing well and the owner hopes to sell or move them to another town before the season begins.

Fate steps in when Bernie receives an unexpected windfall. He buys the team and vows to turn them around. He assembles an inexperienced team of managers, coaches and players much to the dismay of the major league team owner, who is constantly looking over their shoulders.

The coaches and team members give it all they’ve got trying to pull off a winning season. Along the way they share laughs, tears and personal hardships. They learn a variety of life lessons in the process of attempting to make a difference to the team and to prove they are better than anyone thinks they are.

I really liked the book because I am a baseball fan. Bernie is very likeable and you can feel how stressed he is at times. His father, Johnny, is the one I most emphasized with as he struggles with team issues, as well as personal ones. Bernie and Johnny’s family is supportive of them though at times it is a struggle with balancing time between the two. I would have liked the family to play a more major role. The team members are quite diverse and each one is described in detail. The players, with all their idiosyncrasies, grow on you and I felt sad when someone was benched, cut from the team or injured.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author’s style draws you into the story; I wanted to know what would happen next. The characters are all believable and could be your next door neighbor. The chapters are a very nice length, not too long. Chapter titles give a clear indication of what to expect in each chapter.

I would recommend this book for someone who loves the game of baseball. There are lots of details about individual games and you need to know the terminology used and basic rules of the game. If you don’t understand the game, I think you will be bored very quickly. At times I felt there was too much game detail (inning by inning) but it didn’t distract from the overall story. I will definitely be looking for more books by this author.

Dad, Wanna Be Our Manager?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ChrisKauf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an inspiring story with endearing characters. I'm not a baseball fan or any other ball game or sport, but I appreciate a well-written story, apparently, like this one. Good job on the review.
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

The title caught my attention immediately. For some reason, I thought it would be more about the business world but this plot seems like a feel-good tale :) Lovely review and congrats to the author for receiving full ratings.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”