Official Review: Through the Gates by A.V. Schmidlin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Through the Gates by A.V. Schmidlin

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through the Gates" by A.V. Schmidlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mallory Carter isn’t sure what final event has led her to the pearly Gates of Saint Peter to have a private conference with the revered saint himself in Through the Gates, a novel by author A.V. Schmidlin. Yet, Mallory soon realizes that her life back on Earth has ended. Now she must face a difficult interview related to the abuse and devastation she’s suffered, her tumultuous marriage, and the earlier death of her only daughter. Though Mallory longs to go spend eternity with her child in heaven, Saint Peter’s questioning doesn’t seem to be tilting in Mallory’s favor. Will her answers for the earthly choices she’s made be enough to sway Saint Peter into making a positive judgment?

Now, it’s important to note right off that although this novel indeed has a religious theme, this book is not of the Christian fiction genre. Neither is it meant to give theological instruction concerning religious practices or the afterlife, as allegories might. Still, this story’s theme of eternity serves to expand the scope of the protagonist’s reflections on the way she’s lived.

The author writes with a smart and piquant style. Though much of the subject matter is intense and rather dark, Mallory prevents her life (and death) story from becoming overwhelmingly heavy through her wits, her affection, and her down-to-earth personality. Her conference with Saint Peter spans most of the novel in first person, present tense, and she relates the account of her life to the reader in past tense. Mallory doesn’t give her account chronologically, but her reflections follow the course of the conference instead. While there are occasional slips in tenses that don’t appear to be intentional, the flow of the story is smooth overall.

It would’ve been easy to depict Mallory’s quasi-celestial meeting with Saint Peter as something overly formal. However, the interaction between these two characters develops more of a personable and empathetic quality. Mallory’s references to “God” and “god” are telling, and though some of her musings on love become redundant, her reflections are thought-provoking. She considers what it’s like to nearly disappear along with one’s fading dreams, what it’s like to miss oneself. While I imagine some readers may have qualms about the story’s conclusions on what true love is, the novel strongly makes its case in a way that is anything but superficial.

Therefore, I give Through the Gates a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Despite its minor flaws, the novel unashamedly addresses tough questions with a nuanced level of sensitivity. I’d recommend it to contemporary and women’s fiction readers who appreciate stories that delve into serious and challenging issues concerning the human experience.

Through the Gates
View: on Bookshelves

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

What an unusual and interesting subject! At first, I thought the book would be something humorous. I'm glad that I was mistaken.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

chytach18- wrote:What an unusual and interesting subject! At first, I thought the book would be something humorous. I'm glad that I was mistaken.
Unusual and interesting indeed. The main character's wry way of telling her story does make for a humorous moment or two, but there's not much in the way of comedy. I think the book cover nails it, as far as the novel's mood goes.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your well-written, insightful review. I thought the plot looked familiar and then I realized I read the sample a while ago and almost selected the book for review. :) I am going to take a second look based on your positive opinions.

Congrats to the author on receiving 4 stars!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your well-written, insightful review. I thought the plot looked familiar and then I realized I read the sample a while ago and almost selected the book for review. :) I am going to take a second look based on your positive opinions.
Thanks, Owlie! Sometimes books snag me that way--if I stop to look, then pass on by, but then see later that someone else read it... :lol:
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting story with profound premise and relatable character. I am very much intrigued by the idea of an 'interview with Saint Peter'.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting story with profound premise and relatable character. I am very much intrigued by the idea of an 'interview with Saint Peter'.
Yes, Saint Peter turns out to be quite a human character in this story. :)
Anya
Currently Reading: The Graveyard Book
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anya.html

Post by Anya »

Ummm..normally Christian fiction genre isn't my kind of book at all...but i could read this one..
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Anya wrote:Ummm..normally Christian fiction genre isn't my kind of book at all...but i could read this one..
:) Yes, I thought it important to state in the review that this novel isn't of that genre, as there may be readers who think any fiction with Christian themes must of course be Christian fiction, but that isn't always the case. Just like a book containing romantic themes or romance in the storyline doesn't necessarily make it a romance novel, or a book with a mysterious murder in it doesn't automatically make it a murder mystery novel--and so on. :techie-studyingbrown:
kira
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kira »

Your review was really good. I will pick this book next:)
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kira wrote:Your review was really good. I will pick this book next:)
Thanks, Kira--good to hear it!
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Nicely worded and well written review :)
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Swiftmover07 wrote:Nicely worded and well written review :)
Gee, thank you kindly! :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”