Official Review: Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Official Review: Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories

Post by chytach18- »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Smiling Exercises, and other stories is a collection of thirty very entertaining, sometimes shocking, short stories. As a fan of short stories, and particularly of flash fiction, I have to say that this anthology has met all my expectations. With no doubt, Dan Malakin knows his trade. Let’s begin with the titles of his stories: A Beautiful Girl, Decomposing; Brian’s Secret Vagina; The Office Door Fiasco; A Good Kicking is Hard to Find, etc. And here is my favourite: Long Tongue, Twisted. These titles are not to grab the attention, although they might look sententious at first glance. Many of them are metaphorical and tell at least half of the story they are preceding. For example, Brian in Brian’s Secret Vagina finds a female vagina under his armpit. The story is not about sex or any kind of inappropriate behaviour. It is about the relationship that is so deep and gentle it should be kept hidden from other people’s eyes.

In flash fiction, there is no space for background explanation. Dan Malakin propels his characters straight into the middle of the action, into the events of no return. We don’t know the character at the beginning and might get confused at first. However, before we had got irritated, the author would insert a clever metaphor, an unusual argument or strange mannerism of the character – and we would feel that we knew that fellow for ages. For instance, in Plugs, the boyfriend is British and the girlfriend is American. Their relationship didn’t work because they were using a different kind of electrical plugs. The narrator, the British chap, argues: "The English plug, that steady and sturdy device, that paradigm of Britishness, with its trident of strong legs" is more attractive than "pathetic American plugs with their weedy breakable legs". What can I say more?

A good piece of flash fiction, like a good piece of poetry, does not always end with the last sentence of the story. The ending should be hidden somewhere in the middle, and sometimes in the first sentence. I loved how Dan Malakin was playing with the endings of his stories. Let’s take A Dream About My Wife. He begins with a confession: “Last night I dreamt I left my wife”. That’s it – the story was about the man who was unable to fulfil his dreams.

I was amazed how skilfully Dan Malakin exploited different themes and subjects. Most of the stories touched the themes of loneliness and attachments (and not only among and between humans). There were stories about the apocalypse, Christianity, betrayal, etc. I have already mentioned Long Tongue, Twisted. This amazing story is written on the theme of bullying among children. A school boy, whose name I believe is Peter, is surrounded by a gang of other boys who bully him because he has speech difficulties. It happens every day. He blames his tongue for his suffering. He hates his tongue, but he is the brave boy. I read the story several times and each time I had goose bumps on my arms. The story is written in present tense in a matter-of-fact language. It’s horrible and it’s beautiful. For that story alone, I would give the book the highest rate. Fortunately, most of the stories in this collection were of the same high quality. No wonder that most of them were already published in popular magazines and two were shortlisted for the Bridport Prize.

With great pleasure I give Smiling Exercises four out of four stars. I would recommend the book for the lovers of good short stories.

Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like chytach18-'s review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I'm glad you enjoyed the stories. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. I am not a big fan of short stories, but you made the collection sound so interesting I might have to take a second look. I love the cover!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
chytach18-
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you, gali and bookowlie.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

A very thorough and well thought out review. Nice job, chytach18-!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you, rssllue.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I don't read a lot of short stories, but like bookowlie said this sounds interesting, so maybe I'll give it a chance. Nicely done on your review! Congratulations to the author for a very positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you, hsimone.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I'm a fan of short stories and I find the titles catchy and intriguing. I think I'm going to love this book. Great job on the review. Will be putting it on my 'to read' list.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very lovely review! The book sounds both thought-provoking and highly entertaining!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Sometimes I don't think short fiction, including short stories, gets its due respect as an art. Thanks for this review! :-)
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you, kimmyschemy, LivreAmour and NadineTimes. Good short story is sometimes better than a novel.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”