Official Review: An Untold Want by Sara Stark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: An Untold Want by Sara Stark

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Untold Want" by Sara Stark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Untold Want by Sara Stark is set in the small Georgian town of Jacob’s Creek. Per usual, it is the kind of small town where everyone knows everyone, and everyone knows that the MacAllisters are a family of witches with a curse upon them. Maggie MacAllister is trying her best to break the curse and shun her heritage, but her daughter, Liz, embraces the wiccan culture wholeheartedly. Liz even teaches a few things to her best friend, Desi, and the two try to pair up Desi’s father and Liz’s mother. Despite the two being a match made in heaven, Maggie’s fear of the curse keeps her from engaging in a true relationship. She doesn’t want Desi's father to become just another MacAllister man – a headstone in the family cemetery.

When I first read the description for this book, I mistakenly thought that it would be historical fiction. Most of the complications in the novel – witches, curses, pregnancy out of wedlock, and teenage pregnancy – aren’t given two blinks in modern society. However, in a small town in Georgia, reputation seems to be a huge motivational factor. To Maggie, what others thought of her and her child seemed to dictate her entire life. Liz, on the other hand, cared less about consequences and more about treating people the way they deserved to be treated, rather than how Georgian manners would dictate how they should be treated. This contrast between mother and daughter plays a huge role in the novel.

In my opinion, the characters were the novel’s strongest point. Each character had their own background and reasons for acting they way they did. The author even took us back in time through diary entries, allowing us to get to know all of the MacAllister women, whom we would otherwise only know through stories and the rare offhand comment. I actually enjoyed these diary entries the most, because they broke up the story and gave the reader more history about the old house that has been in the family since Jacob’s Creek was founded, why the entire family hated a certain character, and so on. One thing I will mention is that because the diaries come from so many different women who are all related to each other, at the beginning of the novel it was hard to keep track of which character was related to who in what way.

One thing that bothered me was how stubborn some of the women were. Maggie, in particular, hated the fact that she was a social pariah, but never did anything to try and change her status. It was as if she was resigned to die an outsider just because she was a single mother who refused to socialize with the other families in town. Maggie’s character vexed me, because even as her own daughter made and learned from her own mistakes, Maggie was stuck in the past and set in her ways, almost to the point of being obnoxious. Her character wasn’t completely unlikable, but her pessimism and depression made for slow reading in the first half of the book.

That being said, with such memorable scenery and characters, it’s not likely that I’ll ever be able to forget this book. The small details, such as the biscuit-baking and the descriptions of the quilts in the house, honestly made this the most Southern book I’ve ever read. I would hate to live in Jacob’s Creek with its pitiable, overly- conservative families, but I was quickly stuck in my own mental version of the town while reading the book.

I give An Untold Want 4 out of 4 stars. The plot and character development is something to applaud. I would also recommend this book to anyone who enjoys books about small town societies and Southern comforts. As there is a bit of sexual content, I would suggest it for mature teens and above. I would not suggest it to anyone who has had trauma from pregnancy or abuse, as there may be some triggering passages.

An Untold Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very insightful review, katiesquilts. I particularly liked the passage in which you described your feelings towards Maggie.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

chytach18- wrote:Very insightful review, katiesquilts. I particularly liked the passage in which you described your feelings towards Maggie.

Thank you! :mrgreen:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your well-written review. I almost chose this review book a few weeks ago so it was a particular treat to read your analysis. The book sounds great!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your well-written review. I almost chose this review book a few weeks ago so it was a particular treat to read your analysis. The book sounds great!
Thanks!
When I'm selecting a book to review I usually open up the interesting sounding ones in separate tabs and sort through them from there, but after I read the description for this book I clicked the "Select" button without even reading the others! :lol:
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! Thank you for the great review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book with lovable characters. Liz seems like my type of character. Great job on the review.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting book with lovable characters. Liz seems like my type of character. Great job on the review.
Thanks! :D
Liz was definitely a likable character! She and her best friend (Desi) are such total opposites, it's funny to see them interact. But it's such and honest and real friendship, very true to life.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”