Official Review: The Boys from Bakersfield by Mitch Laretz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: The Boys from Bakersfield by Mitch Laretz

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boys from Bakersfield" by Mitch Laretz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Boys from Bakersfield is a futuristic dystopian novel written by Mitch Laretz. This book is Laretz’s first novel. As a lover the dystopian genre, I jumped at the chance to review this book. The description of the story pulled me in and set up high expectations.

Tommy and Monty are living in a terrible time when Tyranny has struck the United States and every day is a fight for survival. Being taken back to a time when people didn’t have electricity and the modern-day amenities we are graced with, life is no easy feat. These two teenagers stick together and live as normal a life as possible for those not privileged to live a rich lifestyle. All while doing what they can do help their families survive. Everything changes when Tommy decides to join a resistance movement and Monty reluctantly follows suit. Leaving their home in Bakersfield, the two embark on a journey that will forever change their lives.

On a mission to take over the government, we meet many characters throughout the story. Through this journey we watch Monty and Tommy mature - one filled with hate and loathing, the other developing true leadership potential. The one good thing that I found relate-able in this story was the friendship between the two. Taking over government buildings leading up to the ultimate goal of storming Washington DC takes its toll not only on the two, but on everybody who must somehow come to terms with their situation. From being handed over by one of their own to facing mass death we watch characters fall to madness to others just wanting to live a peaceful life. The conclusion, I will say, is not what I was expecting but I wasn’t totally surprised either.

As a reader, I was disappointed from the very beginning. It was slow starting and it felt rushed with the dialogue being squeezed into the paragraphs. That also made it hard for me to keep up, especially since there were so many characters involved. Repetition was also abundant in this story. It made for dull reading and I found myself becoming annoyed. In any book I like to be able to relate to the characters and I just couldn’t do that. While the plot could have been interesting it was dragged out and none of it really excited me. In all the scenes where the reader shouldn’t have felt something for the characters, I found myself lacking in emotion. The edge of your seat while reading about battle and death was missing.

As a lover of dystopian novels, I was disappointed with this book. From the beginning to the end I couldn’t get into it. I rate The Boys from Bakersfield by Mitch Laretz a 2 out of 4 stars. The author has something good and I wish I could have enjoyed the story. I look forward to seeing what else this author comes up with because this book did have a lot of potential. As is I would not recommend this book.

The Boys from Bakersfield
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TrishaAnn92's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love dystopian novels too. Too bad the book disappointed you. Thank you for the lovely review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

It is difficult to negatively criticize a writer's work. For me, there follows a period of remorse, but you have to be honest. Thank you, TrishaAnn92 for the review, and your honesty.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a great review, Trisha! We have to be honest, 'eh? Too bad you didn't enjoy it more, but it seems there is some potential here.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

There is a lot of potential in it. I hate writing negative reviews but I'm not going to pretend I liked something when I didn't. I like being honest even though it is difficult. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

TrishaAnn, I enjoyed reading your objective review. You gave lots of contructive criticism that the author can use.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you :)
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Repetition in novels is definitely frustrating. I think it's a hard thing to notice when you're the one writing it though. That's why it's good to get honest feedback that will point out those things to watch out for.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

From your review, Trisha, it was obvious that you wanted to like the book, but there was too much that prevented you from enjoying the book. Very interesting and very honest review.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The plot sounds promising. Too bad it does not live up to expectations. Great job on the review!
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thanks kimmyschemy06!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:There is a lot of potential in it. I hate writing negative reviews but I'm not going to pretend I liked something when I didn't. I like being honest even though it is difficult. :)
This was a great, honest review! I feel the same way about giving negative reviews. I don't like it either, but like you said being honest is the way to go. Reviewing books, you never know what you can get! You did a wonderful job in being honest and fair at the same time. Hopefully, the next book the author does is more gripping!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

hsimone wrote:
TrishaAnn92 wrote:There is a lot of potential in it. I hate writing negative reviews but I'm not going to pretend I liked something when I didn't. I like being honest even though it is difficult. :)
This was a great, honest review! I feel the same way about giving negative reviews. I don't like it either, but like you said being honest is the way to go. Reviewing books, you never know what you can get! You did a wonderful job in being honest and fair at the same time. Hopefully, the next book the author does is more gripping!

Exactly! And doing reviews has helped me learn balance between being honest but fair at the same time. There was one review I did when I was new, and I felt like I ripped into the author. Thank you!
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Nice, honest review!
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”