Official Review: Dragon Curse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jcox27
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcox27.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Curse" by L.Y.Starks & Dea Gonzalez
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Dragon Curse

Post by jcox27 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon Curse" by L.Y.Starks & Dea Gonzalez.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dragon’s Curse by Authors L.Y. Starks and Dea Gonzalez is a book about a girl named Carmen, who was cursed when her father was accidently killed and she made a deal to bring him back to life. Carmen then met the love of her life and began planning for her future, just in time for the curse to unfold.

This book has a lot of potential, the story idea is one that I could see myself eagerly awaiting the next book for. It has several sub plots that help keep the book from being one tone. It features a strong female character that Is training with her father to fight which is definitely a positive to me. My favorite part of this book was the magic involved in it in several ways. It deals with supernatural themes as well as everyday ones as well.

However the author has a few issues with execution, all the wonderful plots and subplots seem rushed, and the structure of the piece is confusing, leaving the story with a lack of flow. The transition of conversations in the book is difficult to follow as well. The limit of two people in a conversation made it a little easier to follow, but the lack of setting description within the conversation make following the scene difficult at times.

My biggest issue with the book is that the plots don’t link together well, despite the fact that the sub plots are enjoyable, it seemed like several stories combined into one short book, rather than the book coming together as one story. One more major issue I have with the book is prior to the main character being cursed we have no reference to magic in her world, and yet she puts up no resistance to the idea that magic exists. There are no clues if magic is common in her world because she just doesn’t react to the new idea.

I gave this book 2 out of 4 Stars. It received this rating because it had quite a few issues in the execution of the story. It had spelling errors and a few lines in the book left me confused. I liked the idea for the story, however the book itself is hard to follow and feels rushed. I hope this author keeps writing this series, I think some of the rushed feeling would go away in subsequent books, and it has the potential to be a really interesting read for anyone who likes supernatural romance books.

Dragon Curse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jcox27's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Dragon Curse" by L.Y.Starks & Dea Gonzalez

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”