Official Review: Behind Closed Doors (2): Dana's Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Behind Closed Doors (2): Dana's Story

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind Closed Doors (2): Dana's Story" by A.L. Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Behind Closed Doors (2): Dana's Story by A.L. Smith is a eye-opening novel about human trafficking. The picture we get in our head about human trafficking is often girls being kidnapped and taken overseas. However, there are many silent victims of human trafficking right under our noses and they are being sold by members of their family. Although this book is listed as being the second one in a series, it can easily be read as a stand-alone novel.

There had never been much love between Dana and her mom. When Dana's father leaves them, things take a dramatic turn for the worse. At 12 years of age, her mom tells her to get in the car with a strange man and do whatever he tells her to do. When she gets home after the nightmarish ordeal, she sees the man give her mom $300. She thinks she has no way out. For years she lives in silence about what her mom makes her do in order for them to have the latest and greatest that money can buy. Thankfully the abuse comes to an end, but Dana has some choices to make that will determine the direction of her life. Will she make the right choices or will she let the past keep her from achieving her dreams? You will have to read it for yourself if you want to find out.

I had a hard time putting this book down. When I did, I couldn't stop thinking about it and wondering what would happen next. It is a gripping story with a few twists and turns that I did not anticipate. It actually reminds me of The Shawshank Redemption. It has a completely different storyline, but the feel of the book took me back to that movie.

I was initially worried that I would not be able to finish this book because of the subject matter. However, the author handled the issue well by giving enough information to know what was happening without becoming explicit. Still, there is some language and adult content so I do not recommend it for children or teens.

The story is written in first person from Dana's point of view. Because the story spans many years, it makes me think of an autobiography. Halfway through, the book starts to switch between Dana and her friend, Alex's point of view. It threw me by surprise and I do not think switching POV actually adds anything to the story, but I got used to it by the end. One time the story actually switches from first person to third, but I do not think it was intentional.

Dana is an outstanding character. Even though she is a victim, she does not wallow in self-pity. She has a determination and boldness that keeps you rooting for her even when she makes some awful decisions. The other characters are also well-rounded and you either love or hate them, depending on their role in the story.

Unfortunately there are a few grammatical errors. However, there are not enough to dampen the brilliance of the story so I am giving Behind Closed Doors (2): Dana's Story a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is the best book I have read in a really long time. I think anyone who is interested in learning more about human trafficking or just looking for a good read should check this book out.

Behind Closed Doors (2): Dana's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Akangela1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akangela1 »

@Rachaelamb1. Thanks so much for the detailed review. As a new writer, honest feedback is everything. As with the first edition of this book, the subject matter is not an easy one to discuss but I'm glad I was able to do so. The book is based on a true story.
Thanks again (smile).
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Akangela1 wrote:@Rachaelamb1. Thanks so much for the detailed review. As a new writer, honest feedback is everything. As with the first edition of this book, the subject matter is not an easy one to discuss but I'm glad I was able to do so. The book is based on a true story.
Thanks again (smile).
Wow, I did not realize it was based on a true story. What an incredible story it is! I can see why you chose to tell it.
Akangela1

Post by Akangela1 »

Dana's real. So are Diana and Mr. James. A majority of the story is fictionalized, but all of the details are based on real events. In hindsight, could you tell what was "real" and what was fiction?
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It's hard to say because everything that happens is realistic. I can definitely see it happening in real life although perhaps a bit of a stretch for one person to go through everything that Dana went through.
Knowing that Mr. James and Diana are real makes me wonder if what happens with them at the end is fact or fiction?
Akangela1

Post by Akangela1 »

Bam!!! LOL. Fiction.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Lol...I see! So a lot is fictionalized, but it does have real life situations in it.

-- 10 Feb 2016, 04:28 --

By the way, I just wanted to say thank you for using your talent to write these books about human trafficking. I know there has been an increasing awareness about it in the last few years, but it's still not something a lot of people talk about. In your book you touch on how the justice system ends up treating the victim as the perpetrator. That is something that really needs to change, but I don't think it will until people start to care enough to do something to change it!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I agree with your assessment that this is a really good book - I read and reviewed the book several months ago. :) Behind Closed Doors (1) is also a great story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I agree with your assessment that this is a really good book - I read and reviewed the book several months ago. :) Behind Closed Doors (1) is also a great story.
Thank you! I am interested in checking out the first one as well :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. Though I feel uncomfortable about the topic, I believe it is one awesome read. Great review! Congratulations to A.L. Smith for such a well-written book.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

This definitely sounds like an interesting read. Clearly, for a "new" author, A.L. Smith must have a natural talent in writing to have written two books that have positive reviews. I think it is great that she (?) is shedding light on taboo material and giving voices to the silent victims of human trafficking. Perhaps a trafficking story about a male victim is next?

Great review!
Journey beyond the jacket.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. Though I feel uncomfortable about the topic, I believe it is one awesome read. Great review! Congratulations to A.L. Smith for such a well-written book.
It is an uncomfortable topic for sure, but one that needs to be talked about. Thanks for the kind comments :)

-- 12 Feb 2016, 10:37 --
rachel_jacks wrote:This definitely sounds like an interesting read. Clearly, for a "new" author, A.L. Smith must have a natural talent in writing to have written two books that have positive reviews. I think it is great that she (?) is shedding light on taboo material and giving voices to the silent victims of human trafficking. Perhaps a trafficking story about a male victim is next?

Great review!
Thank you! I agree, she is a very talented writer. I haven't read her first book, but this one is excellent. There is so much more to the book than just the abuse. I love that the book offers hope, it doesn't only focus on the negative which I think is important in stories that deal with tough, real life situations. And hopefully these books will, as you said, "shed light on taboo material".
Akangela1

Post by Akangela1 »

Not sure how I missed the recent comments. As a new author, getting a quality review is extremely hard. Each time I've submitted to this site for a review, I've walked away with constructive criticism that I've used. In fact, I completely relaunched the entire series after the first review that I received from OLBC. All of my OLBC reviewers have been able to look past the flaws to see the positives. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it....motivation to write another day (smile).
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

That's wonderful! As an OLBC reviewer it makes me happy to know that our reviews are helping authors! I know that when I write reviews, I am hoping that my comments can not only help readers make an informed choice about which book to buy, but help authors perfect their work. Of course, I am sure not every author is open to constructive criticism...it's so good to hear that some are :)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Great review @Rachaelamb1 :)

Exciting news, the author @Akangela1 has generously put this top-rated book on a temporary free promotion. It is compeltely free; you do not need Kindle Unlimited. Please download it free from Amazon now.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”