The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
specs468
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-specs468.html

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto

Post by specs468 »

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto was a well thought out and well written novel. This is true of all of Mitch Albom's work. This book follows the life of Frankie Presto. Presto is a musician who accomplishes many amazing things in his life. He also has the chance to meet truly amazing people who we all recognize as famous in our time.
The author speaks of music to be a person and this person tells the story of Frankie's life. As to not give away any spoilers of the book I will say that Frankie sees death, life, love, fear and magic the way none of us readers can imagine. This book leaves you seeing the world in another light and holds a grip on you. It was very hard to start another book after finishing this one.
Frankie Presto is a mystery to himself. His mother and father are mysteries to him as well. Frankie’s father is who starts him on a musical path by sending him to guitar lessons. By doing this, it changes Frankie’s path and sets him on a whole new one with his teacher who proves to be more than just that. Frankie is given magic strings that are to be used throughout the novel at precarious times and provide a new story to tell.
If you love music, you will love this book. If you don’t love music, you will still love this book. I would recommend this novel to anyone who loves a truly great book.
I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is very well written, easy to read, flows well and pulls on your heartstrings. The only negative thing that I reviewed about this book is that much of it is sad. I recommended the book to a friend while I was still reading it. When I finished it I knew I had to prepare her before she started it. Be ready with tissues and also be prepared to stay up all night to find out what will happen next!
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

I loved this book :) Here is my review:

In the book The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom we meet find ourselves at Frankie’s funeral where the soul of music greets us and tells us about the musician Frankie Presto. At nine years old Frankie is sent to America in the bottom of a boat. He only has one possession a guitar and six precious strings. Frankie’s talent is original and his journey weaves him through a musical landscape from classical to jazz to rock and roll. He meets many musical legends on his journey including Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Carole King and even KISS. Frankie becomes famous himself. He makes records. He is loved. His gift is also a burden, he realizes through his music he affects people’s futures. His strings start to turn blue every time he alters a life. At the height of his career he vanishes. His legacy grows. Only decades later does he reappear, to change on last life…

I recommend this book to teenagers and adults.

Oh the joy of having a library again. I walked into my library for the first time in 3 years. I have been living out of the country the last three years and never had access to one. This past week I moved back to Wisconsin and I was excited to walk into my library. The first shelf I stopped at was the new arrival shelf where I found this book. I love Mitch Albom and was surprised to see he had a new book. This book was so enjoyable and the the stye of writing makes you fall in love with all types of music. As I sat down to write this review I looked up Frankie Presto on spotify because I couldn’t be sure if this is based on a real person. I found this an album of music for this book. I listen to it as we speak. Well we aren’t speaking but you know what I mean I hope.

This book is sappy and makes me think of all the teachers in my life. They impacted my life. I do not know that I have impacted anyone like that but I have to say the teachers who have impacted mine I will never forget.

Mitch always has something in his books that grabs my attention mine was this quote:

“Instead he got an ovation. He forced a smile. Homecomings are never predictable. And there are few things emptier than applause when you feel you don’t deserve it.”

I recently had a homecoming with a standing ovation and I could relate to what he was saying here. My family thought I deserved it but I didn’t. You see I just went and did what God wanted me to. Just like I am doing now.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”