Official Review: Fling! by Lily Iona MacKenzie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Fling! by Lily Iona MacKenzie

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fling!" by Lily Iona MacKenzie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Lily Iona Mackenzie, Fling! is a story about Bubbles and her daughter as they set out from Canada to Mexico to pick up the ashes of Bubbles' dead mother. Told in the third person, the story focused primarily on mother and daughter's journey with chapters on flashbacks in between.

Feather came home to Calagary, Canada for her mother's 90th birthday. To her surprise, Bubbles informed her of a letter she recently received from Mexico asking her to pick up the ashes of her mother, Heather, who has been dead for 70 years.

As a girl, Bubbles was described as beautiful and vivacious. She was uprooted from her homeland in Scotland so that the rest of the family could join her father who had been working in Canada for 7 years. The reunion did not turn out very well and Bubbles' mother ended up running away with another man. Without a mother to guide her, Bubbles got pregnant with Feather but was very vague about Feather's paternity. Bubbles eventually got married with Floyd. However, she seems to be as unlucky, as her mother was, in her first husband. So, she, like her mother, ran away with another man. Left with the responsibility of taking care of her stepbrothers, Feather left home as soon as she noticed her stepfather staring at her breasts. She got pregnant at 16 but her relationship did not work out so she ran away at 22 years old taking her 6-year old son and joined The Circus.

Personally, I found the book funny and entertaining. Bubbles, at 90, was described as energetic, charismatic and sexual. She was hungry for adventure and had a healthy appetite for men. Feather's character was just as developed as that of Bubbles. She was an artist who, despite her secret resentment of Bubbles for abandoning her, proved to be a good daughter. Knowing that Bubbles may die anytime, Feather spent as much time with her as she could. Mexico was described as an enchanting and magical country with dead people coming to life and shaman shifting into animal forms.

In addition to being highly entertaining, the story was also filled with life lessons. First of which was the importance of a mother's presence in a child's life and the pain, confusion and anger a child feels as a result of abandonment and neglect. Second was the challenge of finding a good spouse. The book makes the reader appreciate the blessing of having a respectful and supportive partner and companion especially in old age.

Generally, this is one well-written book with interesting plot. However, with most of the characters female, there was a frequent use of the subject pronoun 'she' that readers may easily get confused as to who 'she' was referring to: Heather, Bubbles or Feather. Also (this may sound subjective of me but) I prefer characters, especially elderly, to be proper and respectable who tend to set good examples instead of being out smoking pot and chasing men. But it is just me and I am old school, different reader, different taste, so, I am not taking it against the author.

In view of the above, I give this book a rate of 3 out of 4 stars. It is a funny and entertaining story with a great plot and interesting characters. I recommend it to readers who like adventures with a touch of supernatural plus a tad of sex.

Fling!
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very good description of the basis of the book! It sounds like quite the intricate tale. Great job on the review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

rssllue wrote:Very good description of the basis of the book! It sounds like quite the intricate tale. Great job on the review!
Thank you very much. It is a very interesting book.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very well-written review! I must say though, at first I thought two of the names were some sort of nicknames, but it seems like Bubbles and Feather are the characters real names?

Anyway, I can see how having mainly females and using 'she' can get confusing - that's a good point to raise. Overall, great review! I get a very good sense of what the story is about. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Very well-written review! I must say though, at first I thought two of the names were some sort of nicknames, but it seems like Bubbles and Feather are the characters real names?

Anyway, I can see how having mainly females and using 'she' can get confusing - that's a good point to raise. Overall, great review! I get a very good sense of what the story is about. :)
Thank you very much!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”