Official Review: Ripples Through Time by Lincoln Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Ripples Through Time by Lincoln Cole

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ripples Through Time" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ripples Through Time by Lincoln Cole is a novel about an eighty-something man dealing with being alone after his wife’s death. It is categorized in the General Fiction genre. Calvin Greenwood’s wife Emily, nicknamed Mellie, recently passed away after a long, painful illness and he harbors suicidal thoughts due to grief and regret. Edward White, a family friend, tries to intervene as he realizes Calvin is at a perilous crossroads.

The story is told through multiple narrators in the first and third person. The reader is introduced to the various members of the Greenwood family through flashbacks of the couple’s courtship, their long marriage, and their three children. There is also a look back at Edward and his family. A racetrack theme is woven through the plot; in fact, the couple first met when assistant horse trainer Calvin helped a mare give birth, with bystander Mellie agreeing to assist him.

Calvin is an interesting, layered character. When he was younger, he gambled and drank too much, and was not the best husband or father by a long shot. Since he appeared to be a nice, elderly man in the beginning chapters, it was a surprise to discover the many facets of Calvin’s character. It felt a little like peeling an onion and was realistically written. The most intriguing characters are usually the ones that are not all good or all bad.

The author has a casual, conversational writing style which works well in this book. The writing is easy to understand with a nice mix of sophisticated phrasing and a direct, plainspoken style. However, a few of the words used in the flashback scenes are not consistent with the background or age of the characters. For example, Calvin’s son Jason narrates a chapter in which he is ten years old. He wants to be a writer, but is frustrated since he feels his writing is cliché. Cliché doesn’t seem like a word a child of that age would use, particularly someone from a poor upbringing in a small town fifty years ago.

My main gripe relates to keeping track of the various characters’ points of view at different stages of their lives. Each transition is preceded by Calvin or Edward mentioning an incident that happened long ago. The plot becomes confusing with time jumps about too many different characters at different life stages. The pacing is slow with an abundance of details about each character and incident. I would become absorbed in a person’s story in flashback and have to reorient myself to the present, and then back to a different time period with another character. These switches gave the story a disjointed feel with too many subplots splitting off on long tangents. Still, there is an interesting twist in the latter part of the story and the ending is well done.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The characterizations are top-notch, even if the plot is slow and meandering at times. I would recommend this book to fans of family sagas and characters dealing with change. A tighter plot would have improved the book overall, but I still found it a worthwhile read.

Ripples Through Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Wonderful review! I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I have read books with time jumps but it is usually limited to two characters pov. I can see how having more than two characters and a lot of time jumps would be disorienting.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali and Bluemel. The time jumps were good in some ways because they gave a full backstory of the characters. However, the downside was that there were just so many different characters featured in separate flashbacks - the main character, his wife, each of their three children, and the family friend.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@bookowlie it is interesting to dive into the past, I've heard stories of my dear grandma that make me glad she never disciplined me ha ha. This is a great example of a balanced and insightful review--highlighting the strengths and bringing to light the perceived weaknesses without being overly critical. This should be very helpful to the author. Well done, and congrats to the author on a review with high marks. We appreciate the work they do to bring us these stories.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the kind words. I found this review a little difficult to write. The book had so many good parts and was well written, but the parts didn't blend together into a great story overall.
hromig
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hromig.html

Post by hromig »

Nice review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Hromig and welcome to the forums. I really liked that the characters were portrayed as real people with flaws.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Thanks for the review! I appreciate that you pointed out the weak points, because I'm continually trying to adjust to make the book better, and anything I can do to fix it and make the work more enjoyable to the reader is always good! I know the tangents can get a little out of hand, but I didn't want to chop too many subplots, I just couldn't tie them in as tightly as I had hoped.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Lincoln wrote:Thanks for the review! I appreciate that you pointed out the weak points, because I'm continually trying to adjust to make the book better, and anything I can do to fix it and make the work more enjoyable to the reader is always good! I know the tangents can get a little out of hand, but I didn't want to chop too many subplots, I just couldn't tie them in as tightly as I had hoped.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I finding myself still thinking about the characters a few days after finishing the book. That's always a sign of a great story. :)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I'm actually working on another story now. I can usually only work on one genre for so long before I end up falling into something else. I actually decided to post it on this website here in the publication contest (under Raven's Peak)!

I've gotten tons of feedback on all of my different novels that I need to tighten the storyline, so that's what I've been trying to do in this novel. Less characters, more action!

Thanks again for everything!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The characters in this book are so interesting. I will have to take a look at your entry in the Publication Contest. :) Good luck!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very well-written review, bookowlie! As always. You wrote, "it was a surprise to discover the many facets of Calvin’s character. It felt a little like peeling an onion and was realistically written". This comparison is absolutely delicious. Lincoln, it is your second book on this forum, isn't it? You are very talented writer. And hard-working.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yes! It is my second one on this website (though it was actually released before the other novel) and I really appreciate the review and all of the kind words! I'm new to this community and completely new to publishing, so it's nice finding a tight knit community of friendly people to interact with!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

chytach18- wrote:Very well-written review, bookowlie! As always. You wrote, "it was a surprise to discover the many facets of Calvin’s character. It felt a little like peeling an onion and was realistically written". This comparison is absolutely delicious. Lincoln, it is your second book on this forum, isn't it? You are very talented writer. And hard-working.
Thanks Chytach! I love characters that are not all good or bad. Calvin certainly fit the bill.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”