Official Review: Redneck by Clayton Williamson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Redneck by Clayton Williamson

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redneck" by Clayton Williamson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Redneck is a novel by Clayton Williamson. It tells the story of Reggie Dunn and Ruby Naris, a married couple in their late twenties. A year ago, Reggie and Ruby decided to go on a twelve-week tour across America, playing in coffee shops, bars, and churches for very little or nothing at all. At one church in El Paso, they meet Keith Neck, an aspiring singer-songwriter. When they return to Nashville, they learn that they’ve been evicted and that their house is going to be torn down the very next day. As their lives spiral out of control, Keith comes to Nashville to pursue his dreams. Everything changes when they happen to encounter a country music executive at a honky tonk. The three of them venture into the music world in different ways while they deal with struggles in their personal lives.

At the very beginning of the book, the reader is informed that Reggie is a rock star. The story then backtracks to show how that came to be. He is telling his story in a voice recorder for his memoir. As the narrator, Reggie’s voice throughout the book is very personable and humorous. When commenting on a really boring choir performing at the church, he quips: “True joy offended God, apparently.” When speaking about a song that his wife wrote, he explains: “People usually thought the song was about meetin’ God in Heaven, but she wrote it butt naked not ten minutes after we did it on the bathroom floor one night.”

I really enjoyed how the book took its time to set things up, showing their journey step by step. It had a solid pace. I also enjoyed the inclusion of original song lyrics written by the characters (except for Keith’s, which were purposely bad). I felt that I could actually hear the songs playing in my head based on the lyrics and description of the music. Along with the gradual plot development was the great use of foreshadowing. The author throws in hints at future drama and allows these issues to develop in an unrushed and natural manner.

The entire book isn’t about their pursuits in the music industry. The book is also very much about Christianity and the nature of relationships. This is best explored through Reggie, who struggles with his faith and keeping his newly realized atheism a secret from his wife. There are several factors put into place that begin to drive a wedge through their marriage, which started off in a place of such hope and happiness. Reggie was, in many ways, a fully realized character. There was something to appreciate in the other characters as well, like his outspoken father Ludwell who really seems to hate liberals. He condemns them for the existence of seatbelts and condoms.

As the story progresses, there is betrayal and wavering trust. Jealousy runs rampant, suspicions grow, and animosity abounds. Despite how this description might sound, the drama isn't over the top. Instead, it all remains rooted in reality. I found nearly all of the characters to be relatable in some way or the other; they had down-to-earth worries as well as inspiring ambitions, even if their ways of achieving those goals were less than admirable at times.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I was in absolutely no hurry to get to the end, as it remained entertaining and engaging throughout. It was never dull, whether in a comedic or serious moment. The book got a lot of laughs out of me but also made me stop and think on many occasions. The story is very heartfelt and explored stereotypes of the redneck and Southern culture in enjoyable and thought-provoking ways. I’ll also add that I’ve never been a fan of country music, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book nonetheless.

There is a lot of talk about sex and also a lot of cursing. The book does have a crude tone to it overall. If that doesn’t appeal to you, then this isn’t the book for you. However, if you’re looking for a funny book that also has a lot of heart (despite all the sex and cursing), then you should give this one a try.

Redneck
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review! I am not sure it is for me, but it definitely sounds interesting in areas thanks to your description of the novel. Well done!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks! :)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks! This was one of my favorites that I've read on this site so far.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

You obviously enjoyed reading the book, Tanaya. I enjoyed reading your review. It is very very good!
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Aww thanks! It was a very enjoyable reading experience, that's for sure.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I thought about picking this book @Tanaya but your review is very well done, and now I want to read it as well! Sounds like a fun, but thought-provoking book, one of my favorite kinds.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I really like your Hemingway quote. So very true.

And thanks! I really enjoyed reading it and hope others will as well.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

Great review. I was thinking I would want to read it just because of the title. I am kind of a redneck, it think. At least a country hick. Thanks for the last paragraph. I have a hard time reading books with lots of swearing and sex. Still a great review.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks! And yeah, I think it's fair to give people warnings about those things if it's not for them.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and exciting story. Your enthusiasm is contagious. I hope I get the chance to read it. Great review!
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I appreciate that. I'm glad I was able to effectively convey my enthusiasm!
amritv
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amritv »

It is an OK book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”