Official Review: Fling! by Lily Iona MacKenzie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Inky_Capricious
Currently Reading: Bloodletting
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inky-capricious.html
Latest Review: "Blink to Share" by Janus Bliss

Official Review: Fling! by Lily Iona MacKenzie

Post by Inky_Capricious »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fling!" by Lily Iona MacKenzie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fling! by Lily Iona Mackenzie.

Review by Inky_Capricious.

Rated 3 out of 4 stars.

Quirky and interesting, Fling! takes the reader on a grand adventure starting in turn of the century Scotland, pushing us into a new hoped for opportunity in Canada, and finally taking us on the trip of a lifetime in Mexico. When ninety-year-old Bubbles receives a letter from Mexico City asking her to pick up her mother's ashes, lost there seventy years earlier and only now surfacing, she hatches a plan. Bubbles convinces her hippie daughter Feather to accompany her on the quest. Both women have recently shed husbands and have a secondary agenda: they'd like a little action. A fling, if you will.

Three different places, with different attitudes that force mother and daughter to look within themselves to adjust. Their relationship is a loving one, however they are two different women and do not see eye to eye. The way they relate to each other is absolutely hilarious and heartwarming.

Ms. Mackenzie does a wonderful creating the irrepressible Bubbles! The ninety-year-old matriarch not only says what she thinks, but also acts on it, whether it is eating with gusto, dancing, or seducing men young enough to be her grandson! Her colorful remembrances and internal dialogues should delight readers. Feather, her daughter, is a harder character to embrace. She considers herself a self-styled hippie, but often her behavior tends to be more rigid and conservative with her concerns about money, her mother’s mental stability, and control. The author highlights the contrast between who Feather thinks she is and who she really is.

The reader tags along as the duo make their way south enjoying the sun, liquid-eyed hunks, and life. “Fling!” is a self-discovery road trip, and an enjoyable read reminding the reader to chase rainbows while on the right side of the soil.

If there is one criticism of this story, it would be regarding the flashbacks. I normally dislike flashbacks, and the jumps in the book gave me whiplash. I got an idea of where she wanted to go in the story, but it often took me a page or two to really start following the storyline again. This made it a more difficult read since I kept getting lost.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a more “realistic” fantastical book with a lovely message and eccentric characters.

Fling!
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Inky_Capricious's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Blink to Share" by Janus Bliss
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@Inky_Capricious I like the review! I thought it insightful that you highlighted Feather's image to her internal struggles, and Bubble's mischievous ways sound interesting. You should live to the fullest, even at her age!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”