Official Review: Lost Hope Canyon by T.H. Maynard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Official Review: Lost Hope Canyon by T.H. Maynard

Post by HalcyonFlower »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost Hope Canyon" by T.H. Maynard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Evolution, testosterone, tragedy, a religious fanatic, and the mythological Sasquatch, are few of the things that one will encounter in Lost Hope Canyon by T.H. Maynard. The story begins at Beth’s funeral, a victim of drunk driving and the mother of 8 year old William Bradley. As the service concludes, he and his father, Joe, have an unpleasant visitor in the form of Beth’s father named Ezekiel. He is the leader of the nearby Amish community and hasn’t spoken to his daughter since she left home. The reasons for her departure are that she became pregnant out of wedlock and married a Catholic outsider. Ezekiel blames Joe and William for her death and curses them. After he’s chased away by the local officer, Joe hesitantly tells William how he and Beth first met and about the life they built together. Following the story, both decide to go camping in dangerous Lost Hope Canyon. Tragedy strikes as per the reputation of the canyon and 15 years later, college student Blake Steel becomes the show runner.

Blake has a strong interest in Cryptozoology and his best friend, Patrick, is fond of Anthropology. Their college assignment takes them in search of the Sasquatch. While researching, they discover a correlation between Sasquatch sightings and the victims of Lost Hope Canyon. This clue leads them to Seattle and a name: William Bradley. Blake’s father becomes elusive when the area is mentioned but the boys don’t come across anymore leads. They return to campus and years later, Blake and Patrick become well known in their respective fields. One night, while visiting a random pub on the way home, Blake crosses paths with an old man named Gus. He gives Blake the skull of an unidentified animal and upon DNA testing, Blake realizes that he’s come across a potential Sasquatch skull. From the moment the skull comes into his possession, Blake begins to have terrible nightmares of a man and a young boy. With Patrick and a few select individuals, he ventures into Lost Hope Canyon to find his fourth discovery and hopes to discover the reason for his vibrant nightmares as well.

There’s much more that occurs but I may spoil the conclusion if I say anymore. One of the highlights of this novel is the plot’s pacing. By page 56, the narrative covers a lot of ground but it doesn’t overwhelm the reader with horrendous amounts of dry facts or information. The first few chapters promised a heavy religious tone and this intrigued me since the only interaction I’ve had with the Amish community is through satires. It’s disappointing that potential exploration of the Amish community is not followed through with as the majority of the novel focuses on scientific notions. Despite the sheer amount of information to process at certain points, the readability is easy and enough attention is given to the character and time period at hand. A smoother read would be possible if POVs don’t switch mid-chapter. Every time it happens, a new paragraph is started but I could’ve done without this technique.

Another obstacle of the novel is grammar, specifically in terms of punctuations and homophones. For example, a sentence could be similar to the following: “Randy, and Patrick didn’t want to waist the food”. While not an example taken directly from the book, these types of mistakes are found beginning to end. It takes some time to adjust to them and makes for a bumpy ride. Thankfully, the plot was intriguing enough for me to overlook those particular errors.

In regards to characterization, it’s difficult to believe William’s sophisticated thought process. Yes, he is intelligent and encounters the loss of a parent earlier than most, but the way he’s portrayed seems unrealistic. It’s unfortunate we see so little of him since many chapters focuse on him before Blake becomes the protagonist. After the time skip, the characters that are chosen to be part of the expedition team are akin to those from the movie Predator. The similarities are very striking when coupled with the writing style and introspection of each character. Personally, the team member of interest is a Native American nicknamed Chief, who embodies the positive stereotypes of the Indigenous People: he’s close to nature, stoic and belongs to the lone wolf archetype. It’s regrettable since he’s the only Person of Colour in the novel. As for the females, all of them are intelligent, two of them have successful careers but they fall into the categories of emotional support and plot convenience.

Aside from the flawed grammar and characterization, there are a few scenes that are so captivating that the mistakes are forgotten about. One which occurs early in the novel is William’s dream starring the devil. The imagery is vivid through careful choice of words, proving the writing potential of the author. From the perspective of a young boy, dreaming of the traditional ram headed devil would be frightening. As mentioned before, there are a few more times the imagery commands attention and most of them occur in dream sequence. Since the majority of the novel deals with evolution, these dreams are a nice link to the religious/spiritual aspect of the novel.

Overall, I rate this title 2 out of 4 stars. The plot is intriguing, the factual information is embedded nicely into narrative and most characters are developed well regardless of stereotypes. Sadly, the large number of grammar mistakes and homophones reduce the quality therefore the rating. I suggest hiring an editor to fix the words and punctuation as well as to clean and simplify sentences. Aside from this, I would recommend Lost Hope Canyon to those who like scientific themed novels but I wouldn’t recommend the version I read – take a chance with an edited copy as it can be quite entertaining.

Lost Hope Canyon
View: on Bookshelves

Like HalcyonFlower's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! As someone who has encountered homophones in books, I can say they are incredibly annoying, even more so than the random grammatical error or typo. It just makes me view the writer as incompetent. especially if most are commonly used words.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book but needs a lot of editing. Great review!
HalcyonFlower

Post by HalcyonFlower »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! As someone who has encountered homophones in books, I can say they are incredibly annoying, even more so than the random grammatical error or typo. It just makes me view the writer as incompetent. especially if most are commonly used words.
Thanks for the comment, bookowlie! My apologies for getting to this late. I can definitely see where you're coming from. It was quite frustrating for the first few chapters then I forced myself to get used to it. The plot was interesting. Not the best way to begin a writing career though.
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book but needs a lot of editing. Great review!
Definitely, I find that indie authors don't invest enough time and money into editors. Thank you for the compliment! Sorry it took so long to get to this.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

This sounds like an interesting book that brings a lot of themes to the table. Do they mesh well or does it seem more gratuitous?
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
HalcyonFlower

Post by HalcyonFlower »

I'd have to go with sparse more than anything because of the time skips. Some themes that were covered in the beginning weren't carried through until the end so there were a lot of underdeveloped ideas & concepts. Hopefully that makes sense!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”