Official Review: Escape Clause by GA VanDruff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Escape Clause by GA VanDruff

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape Clause" by GA VanDruff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I absolutely loved this book, and I will be adding this author to my favorite authors list! As a fan of both the supernatural & mystery genres, I'm always eager to pick up anything new, and this delightful book did not disappoint. Mixing the supernatural with mystery isn't unusual, but rarely have I seen it done so well and a debut book at that! The book has just the right blend of paranormal and mystery, and I loved the magic and whimsy of it.

Escape Clause by GA VanDruff is a spellbinding paranormal cozy mystery with a unique and fresh voice. The author has taken the paranormal mystery to a whole new level! This is the first book in 'the Murder Off Screen' series, featuring Jaqie Shanahan, a successful screenwriter. The story is told in the first person, from the point of view of our feisty heroine.

The book literally opens up with a bang, and it goes uphill from there. All her plans of a peaceful vacation in the Caribbean go awry, when Jaqie finds a corpse on the beach instead of the coveted seashells. That sure wasn't in the holiday brochures. Join Jaqie and her merry entourage (her dog Doofus, her gecko José, and the ghost of Jeep) as they sail onward to the adventure of their lifetime, and try to catch a murderer, or two, in the bargain.

When Jaqie anchors offshore and takes a dinghy to Puerto Rico coast, she didn't expect to see the ghost of her best friend Jeep McBain standing over a corpse and chasing seagulls off him. Deciding to throw caution to the wind Jaqie launches herself into the case, and soon finds out that murder investigation isn't what it is cracked up to be. The situation rapidly spins out of control when she becomes the prime suspect in the murder of her friend. She was hoping for a dream vacation, and got Murder She Wrote instead.

Jaqie may have lousy taste in men, but she is a resourceful and lively lady to boot. Pretty soon she is up to her neck in sticky situations and hilarious shenanigans. With the help of her best friend, the movie star Madrille Keiser, and Madrille’s head of security, the handsome but irritating Paul Bracken, Jaqie keeps digging for answers and stumbles into a web of intrigue, suspense, and danger. There are many adventures and mishaps along the way, and there isn't a dull moment. Add to the mix a missing manuscript, mayhem, a lovesick ghost, a little romance for good measure, magic, and humor, and you got a gem of a book!

Have I mentioned that I loved the book?? It was a fun read, and a world I’m desperate to dive back into. I smiled throughout the book, and I often chuckled at the antics of the cast. The book is sprinkled with many witty, and laugh-out loud, lines, and I enjoyed every one of them! I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The premise was sound, the execution supreme, the dialogue was quick and witty, the characters endearing and well-drawn with endearing idiosyncrasies, and the writing supreme! The story tackles themes such as friendship, love, loyalty, betrayal, loss, acceptance, but the most prominent one is moving on with your life after a loss.

The author does an excellent job of pulling you into the story, and the ending leaves one wanting more! Every loose string was tied up nicely, though the ending was a bit abrupt. I look forward to reading the next one in the series. The book had everything I like in a book: exotic location, quirky characters, tantalizing mystery (not one but several deaths!) and likeable leading characters. While I was able to guess some of the twists early on, others caught me by surprise.

I would recommend this book as an excellent read to all lovers of the genre. If you're looking for the most delicious blend of magic, mystery, and romance you will ever read, run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore, and grab this book! Kudos to the author for a splendid book!

Escape Clause
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
GAVanDruff1
Currently Reading: make me
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by GAVanDruff1 »

Thank you, gali, for your wonderful review. A new author could not wish for more than to have people enjoy the characters that take over our lives so completely...and for so long. To have them appreciated is a magical feeling. From all of us - me, Jaqie and her tribe - we say thanks for coming along for the ride:)
gali

Post by gali »

GAVanDruff1 wrote:Thank you, gali, for your wonderful review. A new author could not wish for more than to have people enjoy the characters that take over our lives so completely...and for so long. To have them appreciated is a magical feeling. From all of us - me, Jaqie and her tribe - we say thanks for coming along for the ride:)
Thank you for your kind words and for taking me along. :)

I enjoyed your book immensely and fell in love with your writing (and the characters). I eagerly await for the second book in the series, and I hope it will be out soon. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds interesting. Your love of the book really shines through in the review. I like your comment that finding a corpse wasn't listed in the holiday brochures. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

This sounds like a fun read and I love the cover. Thank you, gali!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you both! I can't express enough how much I enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

So I'm getting the feeling that you might have enjoyed the book somewhat. ;) Great review, gali!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali

Post by gali »

rssllue wrote:So I'm getting the feeling that you might have enjoyed the book somewhat. ;) Great review, gali!
lol Thank you. :D
A retired Admin/Mod

rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome. Image
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Amazing review! It's written so well, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. Judging by how much you seemed to like it, I'm guessing it's a good book! I hope I can read it sooner or later.

Any idea when the sequel is out?
Last edited by zaynab_m on 15 Nov 2015, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
gali

Post by gali »

zaynab_m wrote:Amazing review! It's written so well, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. Judging by how much you seemed to like it, I'm guessing it's a good book! I hope I can read it sooner or later.

Amy idea when the sequel is out?
Thank you and I highly recommend it. :)

I don't know, but I hope it will be out soon. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! This book sounds like it has it all. I am going to add this to my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

bluemel4 wrote:Fantastic review! This book sounds like it has it all. I am going to add this to my to-read list.
Thank you and the book is awesome! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

What a review, gali! I laughed and laughed. Congratulations to the author too.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I really enjoyed reading your review! It's wonderful to fall so completely in love with a great story! I will have to check this one out. :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”