Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Texaners: Eight Short Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Texaners: Eight Short Stories

Post Number:#1 by Jesska6029
» 13 Nov 2015, 13:05

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by Jesska6029
Share This Review

Texaners: Eight Short Stories by T. F. Rhoden is a collection of short stories in the fiction genre.

The eight short stories that make up Texaners take readers into the lives of 8 different people living in Texas. At the center of each story are characters of different races and ethnic backgrounds, and each story gives readers momentary glimpses into the struggles each character faces.

This book was a bit difficult to read at times. Instead of having quotation marks around dialogue, the author uses dashes, which confused me greatly at times. It was really difficult to get comfortable with the odd dialogue. A lot of the sentences are convoluted and awkward. For example, “When the trailer-park matriarch leant down to proffer womanly anodyne to her blubbering snot-bedight kin, an ass crack as unblanketed as the Rio Grande Valley that separates Texas from Mexico broke free from her neon pink—hot, hyper hot pink—sweats” took me a couple tries to read through without confusion.

If you are someone who needs a resolution at the end of a book or story, then this collection of short stories is not for you. These stories only provide readers with small glimpses into the lives of 8 different characters. I did find the lack of resolution frustrating at first, but I appreciated it more when I realizes the point of the stories is only to provide an insight into small moments of the characters lives, not to provide resolutions.

It was a bit difficult to connect to any of the characters because their stories are so short, but I did enjoy Cindy’s narrative in “Chinese Spoons”, and I think the author captured the struggle of a family under certain restraints in “Oils”. However, it was extremely difficult to connect to anyone in “The Gulf” because the story was so short and a bit boring.

There are quite a few spelling and grammatical errors. For example the text reads, “good dead”, not “good deed” and “processor”, not “professor”. It would be a good idea to revise and edit this book if at all possible, so these errors aren’t there to distract readers.

I give Texaners: Eight Short Stories by T. F. Rhoden 2 out of 4 stars. Some of the stories in this collection are interesting, but the convoluted sentences and spelling errors keep me from giving this book a higher rating. I would recommend this book to readers who don’t mind stories without resolutions.

Texaners: Eight Short Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jesska6029's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Jesska6029

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 272 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Texaners: Eight Short Stories

Post Number:#2 by gali
» 21 Nov 2015, 06:50

Thank you for the insightful review. I prefer stories with resolutions, so I guess this book isn't for me.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Caraval
Bookshelf Size: 1592 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#3 by Rachaelamb1
» 22 Nov 2015, 12:05

I was hoping this would be a good book because I am a "Texaner" and we Texans definitely love to read about ourselves :) Judging from the example you gave of that confusing sentence, I do not think I would enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the review!
Rachaelamb1's Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Rachaelamb1

Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: Dragonwitch
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 122 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Post Number:#4 by Jesska6029
» 23 Nov 2015, 05:44

gali wrote:Thank you for the insightful review. I prefer stories with resolutions, so I guess this book isn't for me.

Thanks for the kind words. It's definitely not for everyone!

-- 23 Nov 2015, 05:45 --

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I was hoping this would be a good book because I am a "Texaner" and we Texans definitely love to read about ourselves :) Judging from the example you gave of that confusing sentence, I do not think I would enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the review!

Haha, I think everyone feels that bit of pride when one's hometown or state is mentioned in literature! Thanks for the kind words!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Jesska6029

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Cee-Jay Aurinko
» 23 Nov 2015, 06:18

Great review, Jesska6029! I'm glad you connected to at least one of the stories.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Cee-Jay Aurinko's Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#6 by Jesska6029
» 23 Nov 2015, 07:48

Leon Durham wrote:Great review, Jesska6029! I'm glad you connected to at least one of the stories.

Thanks!! A couple of the stories are truly interesting!
Jesska6029

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by bookowlie
» 23 Nov 2015, 10:36

Nice review! I am glad you enjoyed some of the stories. I am not a big fan of short stories, but I do like books with a strong setting. Whenever I think of Texas, I think "Go Big or go home". :)
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "The Caregiver" by Maria Theresa Casale
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 23%

Post Number:#8 by chytach18-
» 23 Nov 2015, 12:55

“When the trailer-park matriarch leant down to proffer womanly anodyne to her blubbering snot-bedight kin, an ass crack as unblanketed as the Rio Grande Valley that separates Texas from Mexico broke free from her neon pink—hot, hyper hot pink—sweats”. My goodness, what is this? I really feel for you, Jesska! On the other hand, I like the stories with no resolution but only if the story itself is good, complex and inviting the readers to resolve the story as they wish.
chytach18-

Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 24 Books

Post Number:#9 by kimmyschemy06
» 07 Dec 2015, 08:16

I love books with resolutions. They make me feel good about the book I read. I guess this is not for me. Great review!
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "The Seer" by JD Stanley
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Me!
Bookshelf Size: 306 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 34%

Post Number:#10 by LivreAmour217
» 09 Dec 2015, 13:45

Excellent review, but too bad that the same cannot be said for the book! I lived in Texas for eight years and I am completely in love with that state, so I was initially excited when I saw the title. Oh, well!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#11 by dwc
» 30 Dec 2015, 09:31

Jesska6029 wrote: This book was a bit difficult to read at times. Instead of having quotation marks around dialogue, the author uses dashes, which confused me greatly at times. It was really difficult to get comfortable with the odd dialogue. A lot of the sentences are convoluted and awkward. For example, “When the trailer-park matriarch leant down to proffer womanly anodyne to her blubbering snot-bedight kin, an ass crack as unblanketed as the Rio Grande Valley that separates Texas from Mexico broke free from her neon pink—hot, hyper hot pink—sweats” took me a couple tries to read through without confusion. [/i]

It sounds like the writer was experimenting with the narrative or attempting to write what they thought was a higher level of literacy. I have no problem with unusual words, but if I need a dictionary to read a book, then that is too much.

Also, I enjoy stories without a definite ending. Ray Carver is one of my favorites and most of his stories have indefinite endings for the reader to decide what happens next.

I might give this book a shot, knowing what to expect.
dwc

Favorite Author: George Saunders
Bookshelf Size: 80 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Amheiser
» 24 May 2016, 12:51

This seems like it would be an interesting book even though it may be a little difficult to read. The example given about the neon pants seems like the author was trying to be extra descriptive, which can be very distracting when you are trying to follow a story, but I did get a very good picture in my mind of the scene. I think I would like to try reading this book just to see what the author has to say about different Texans. I know some people who are from Texas and it sounds like the book would give the reader a good idea of what life is like there for them. This is a good, informative review!
Amheiser

Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page