Official Review: Stone of Destiny by Mary L. Ball

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Stone of Destiny by Mary L. Ball

Post by lmmallia »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stone of Destiny, written by Mary L Ball, is a Christian romance novel.

One day Taylor Harrison receives a call from her beloved grandmother, Granny Kay with a huge request. Her grandmother has decided to sell her home which has been in the family for generations. Renovations are needed before the house can be sold and Granny Kay needs Taylor’s help. Taylor, a young executive very intent on climbing the corporate ladder, is at first reluctant to take on this responsibility but she is persuaded by her grandmother’s insistence especially when she hears the second part of her grandmother’s request. Dating several generations back, the women in her family has passed on a sapphire ring. This ring was lost in a tragic accident and Granny Kay is convinced it is somewhere in the house and she wants it found before the house is sold to a stranger.

Taylor decides to temporarily move back to her grandmother’s house. Upon her arrival, she meets Brent Roberts. Brent is a handsome, confident hometown boy who is in charge of the renovations to the house. Taylor is immediately drawn to Brent but she isn’t sure if their lives are compatible.

Will Taylor find the family heirloom? Will she give her budding relationship with Brent a chance to grow into something more?

Taylor is a strong and very believable character. Although she is an accomplished businesswoman she is insecure about her standing in the company and is afraid that her career could easily be derailed by anything that could distract her from work. I think this is a theme that many women in executive roles can empathize with when trying to juggle a personal life and a career.

Brent comes off as your typical confident, sometimes cocky southern gentleman. He is very likeable although sometimes it seems like he is a little bit too understanding of Taylor’s insecurities relating to their relationship’s future whereas I think most men would show more frustration.

I really enjoyed the book. The story is a nice, soft romance story told from the 3rd person point of view. From the beginning, the prologue sucks the reader in with a flashback explaining the disappearance of the ring which helped build tension as the plot for the missing ring progresses. There is some subtle foreshadowing in the book that gives the reader an idea of how the story is going to play out and I really enjoyed the journey it took to get there. The author, Mary C Ball, has a knack for bring her characters to life so that I could not only see the characters in my mind but also hear the southern accents and mannerisms they have. This is a Christian-based novel so the theme of religion and God is woven in through the entire story and the characters often call on God for assistance with their struggles.

I rate Stone of Destiny 4 out of 4 stars. This book is perfect for anyone looking for a light, uplifting Christian romance novel.

Stone of Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like lmmallia's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”