Review: The Storied Life Of A.J Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Review: The Storied Life Of A.J Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Post by dickens 100 »

A.J Fikry is a grumpy bookshop owner who has lost his wife and his business is struggling.
One day he finds a two year old child dumped on his bookshop floor, with a note attached to her,asking the owner to look after her, A.J' s life has now changed forever

This novel is gripping read. It is mixed with humour, romance, and brilliant suspense. The relationships are truly wonderful and the story is never predictable. The character Maya is endearing and the main character A.J you slowly warm to. Only the most insensitive person will not finish this book with a lump in their throat, a fantastic novel.
I will rate this 5 out of 5
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree. I have read the book and liked it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
naperez
Currently Reading: The Tales of Beedle and Bard
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naperez.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by naperez »

I agree, this was probably one of my favorite reads this year!

However, I would have liked to see the development of main characters like Maya and Amelia, or even the police and Ismay. The book had a delightful plot (albeit sad at the end), so I think less time could have been spent on fleeting side stories like the police finding Tamerlane could have been put to better use.

That being said, the setting and personalities still came together well. This was definitely a beach read to me, and it was so in the best way.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I just read this book as I received it for Christmas. I really enjoyed it and liked the storyline.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”