Official Review: Glow-head Tells All by Lee Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alwhitbeck
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Currently Reading: Maids of Misfortune
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwhitbeck.html
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 3311

Official Review: Glow-head Tells All by Lee Wilson

Post by Alwhitbeck »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Glow-head Tells All" by Lee Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Glow-Head Tells All: Tall Tales of a Typical Maine Family is a series of stories in an anthology style book that follows a young boy on his family travels. They survive camping with a bear, swimming in icy water with a porpoise, and even a woodchuck. There are nine great family adventures in total where sometimes the parents are attempting to take family home video of the children.

There is even a typical family Christmas story that makes you think of your own childhood Christmas traditions. Many of these stories are easy to relate to because they were common childhood trips, and while we remember the events as an adult, we don’t always remember the thoughts we had at the time. As a child during the events, Lee Wilson manages to encompass all the unique observations that only a child could accomplish and it’s like opening the door to a new world.

The narration style of the story fit very well, and the reader really feels like they are in the mind of a seven year-old boy. He really has some outlandish ideas that range from killer potatoes to poison snails. There were very few moments where what was about to happen next was actually predictable. I really enjoyed the unique child-like view of family traditions.

The need to repeat the bit about how the older brother managed to save himself from the family outings by being born earlier and grown up by the time all these stories take places was a bit too much. It almost seemed like all the stories were written independently and later put together without editing. There were also a few small grammar issues, but nothing that would prevent someone from enjoying the book.

I would have to say 3 out of 4 Stars for Glow-Head Tells All. The book was good, but there were a few issues and it took me a while to get into. This is definitely not a book for someone who likes long novels because of the collection of separate childhood stories that could be read independently or in a different order. I think it might appeal to young adults as well as adults who are interested in humorous stories about being a kid. While there is definitely a specific audience for this book, I believe it would be a fascinating book for such an audience.

Glow-head Tells All
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alwhitbeck's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”