Official Review: Death Must Go On! by Mac Fletcher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Death Must Go On! by Mac Fletcher

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Must Go On!" by Mac Fletcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death Must Go On! is a crime novel by Mac Fletcher. The story takes place in a village called Froxwell in 1954. Snuffy is an undertaker who’s saving up for retirement. He’s always thinking of ways to drum up more business, like selling body parts or executing a mass poisoning. Until now, those have only been pipe dreams. He talks to his friends about this predicament over a game of cards. They are also local businessmen, including a solicitor, a pharmacist, and a licensee. They determine a hit list of wealthy persons whose assets they will split between them. Obviously, things don’t go according to plan as they waver in their confidence and have an unplanned murder to cover up.

The opening description of the village immediately hooked me in. It’s the type of place where people leave their doors open during the night and there isn’t anything terrible to complain about. In one word, it’s a utopia. And that’s the irony at the center of the book: “If life is to flourish, death must go on also.” With people doing so well, how are those who profit off of other’s misfortunes supposed to prosper? It’s an intriguing premise that sets up the story well and never disappoints. The book is dialogue-heavy, and the author consistently has a unique writer’s voice that makes for an entertaining read.

The best overall aspect of the book is its dark humor combined with personable dialogue. Great character work is accomplished through how they speak to one another, with lines like: “All the drugs and poisons available to a bloke in your profession, and you pay a foreigner to club her to death.” This is a line that reveals just as much about the speaker’s personality as it does about the character being spoken to/about. It even conveys the book’s level of self-awareness. There was also more crude humor, such as: “Know the difference between a solicitor and a rhino? One’s thick-skinned, horny, and charges a lot; the other lives in Africa.” I laughed out loud on many occasions due to the amount of snappy dialogue; the characters build well off of each other in conversation to amusing effect.

There are also subtler moments such as when Joe comments that Snuffy is a kind man. Snuffy’s immediate response is: “No, I’m not kind.” The quick readiness of his defensiveness made me laugh upon first reading it. There was also the absurdness that he was defending himself against a compliment. Yet what it reveals is the underlying sadness of Snuffy’s psyche.

Because of the great dialogue, the characters are just really fun to “listen” to. And given the premise of the book, it’s just as fun to watch the extreme lengths they go to in order to carry out their elaborate and ambitious scheme. For instance, Joe dresses up as the woman who was killed in order to lower suspicions about her disappearance, which turns into him being drunk on a train in a wig.

There were a few tiny errors that I happened to notice, such as “Barney eyes” instead of “Barney’s eyes.” There was also missing punctuation on occasion. Joe, being a foreigner, speaks in broken English. His role in the story was narratively effective, but I just felt awkward reading whenever he made an actual appearance. Everyone’s got a different sense of humor.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It had an interesting premise, great dialogue, and a satisfying conclusion. If you enjoy watching characters plan murders and deal with the obstacles that entails, then you should give this book a try.

Death Must Go On!
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mac-Fletcher
Favorite Author: Robert Goddard
Currently Reading: black country
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4946

Post by Mac-Fletcher »

Tanya, I loved your review of Death Must Go On, but then I would, I wrote it. I thought you were very fair in your criticism and generous with your praise. Humour is a very personal thing, and it's nice to know that the goings on in a tiny, insular English village survive the journey to the US so well.
I have to concede that to enjoy the book, one needs a sense of the ridiculous, which I was born with: one of the most flattering remarks that has been made about Death et al is "Sublimely Ridiculous." I'm always pleased when people see my novel for the send up it is.
I take on board your remarks about syntax: I'm pleased there weren't many mistakes because I take immense care in that department, added to which everything I publish is proof-read beforehand, though odd errors can appear during transfer of formats. For that reason I'll be going over the MS with a fine tooth comb, and I'm grateful to you for pointing them out.
I have two other novels published on Kindle (here come the begging letters) and I'd be delighted if you would consider an unbiased review if I can get copies to you. Such reviews are also particularly helpful on Amazon Kindle, though I'm not sure if you're allowed to do that so I won't mention it.
Thank you so much for your comments: reviews like yours give indie authors and publishers the heart to continue. Yours certainly has for me. If you wish to reply, mail me any time at the address in the rear of the MS. I'd be glad to hear from you.

Many thanks for your time Tanya,

Mac Fletcher
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review! A book revolving around a conspiracy to haste people to their death sounds entertaining. Dark humor, good dialogues, and interesting premise should make a good read. Snuffy sounds like a complex character. It is certainly a plus that the book was well edited. Congratulation to the author for the positive review. :tiphat:

Btw, private communication between the reviewer and the author isn't allowed.
Members of the review team are prohibited from having private conversations with any authors who have requested a review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks for clearing that up, gali. I was pretty sure I read that when I first came onto the site. But it was a pleasure to review this book and I'm glad the author enjoyed the review so much.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

What a fantastic review, Tanaya. And what a very British book, Mac. I`ll read it.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Lol. That's a great way to describe it. And thanks!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A crime novel where an undertaker wants to save for retirement and an unplanned murder? Sounds like a quirky tale! It's great to hear that village description grabbed your attention right away. I'm not too big of fan of dark humor, but I'm glad you enjoyed the comical dialogue here. I do love to "listen" in to great conversation, and I'm happy that's the case here for you. Too bad about the small errors, but it's great to hear that you enjoyed this humorous tale regardless! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Very detailed, interesting review. This book does not sound like something I personally would enjoy, but it sounds like the author did a great job and cares about the final product (proofreading taken care of) and that the book is a great read for the right person!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks, and very true. It's a very particular kind of book with humor that's not for everyone. Luckily, I enjoyed it.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I think most authors underestimate the power of good dialog; this sounds like one of those books where the power of good dialog has been used in full, and successfully at that. One such a book I've read is Hands Across The Sea by Brian Cook. I laughed like crazy, so yeah, gathering from your great review, Tanaya, this book might be one of my future read.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I recall that title, and now maybe I should read it too. I always appreciate a good laugh.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

This sounds so, so good! I had this feeling from the moment I spotted the cover. It looked so old-school :D
I love good dialogue and dark humour, so this looks like a great novel for me!
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Glad to see your enthusiasm over it. :) You should give it a read! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! The book looks interesting. It sounds like the humor is smart rather than just silly for no reason.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”