Official Review: Ivory Wild by Lady Elizabeth Tullos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Ivory Wild by Lady Elizabeth Tullos

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ivory Wild" by Lady Elizabeth Tullos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in beautiful but dangerous Africa, Ivory Wild by Lady Elizabeth Tullos is a story about a determined American woman, Charlotte, who braved the uncertainties of a land currently in turmoil to find her fiance who was kidnapped by ivory poachers.

After several days of fruitless inquiries from the American Embassy about her missing fiance Quinn Mc Rae, Charlotte Darach flew to Chad, Africa, to search for him herself. She left a message to Quinn’s oldest brother, Eric, informing him of her plans. Notwithstanding her fear of large animals, which resulted from her having witnessed her beloved and most revered grandfather being trampled to death by stampeding cattle, Charlotte decided to set out to the wild alone (if it will come to that) hoping to bring Quinn home. However, Charlotte arrived at the embassy at the most inopportune time and was, herself, kidnapped, but not before learning that the worst ivory poacher, Abukar Kabadi, has Quinn. She was able to escape her captors when their group was ambushed by another gang of poachers, but only to come face-to-face with a hungry lioness and her cubs. She was rescued from certain and painful death by Park Ranger, Bobo Natato.

Meanwhile, the Mc Rae family, after learning that Charlotte went to Africa, prepared for an expedition to follow Charlotte and rescue Quinn. Led by their patriarch Donald, the Mc Rae brothers, Eric, Mick, Mike, Daniel, and Sean chartered a Lear jet. They met their youngest brother Luke, together with his friends, at the airport.

The author, primarily, presented the story focusing on Charlotte’s unhampered determination to find Quinn. Moreover, she gave the readers a glimpse of the beauty and danger of Africa, the landscape, the people, the animals, the culture. It is also evident that the author is trying to get a message across which is her objection to the senseless killing of elephants for their ivory tusks.

However, there are some details in the story that I found vague; like the mention of Charlotte as coming to Africa on an environmental research project when the story began when she came to Africa to find Quinn. Moreover, characterization is somehow downplayed making some parts of the story unconvincing, like Charlotte’s ability to survive in the wild when there was no prior mention of her capabilities except her growing up in a ranch. Likewise, the Mc Rae and company’s adaptability to the harsh and lawless part of the world when they are portrayed as wealthy ranchers. However, it could be attributed to the story as being very short. There are also few grammatical, or probably, typographical errors in the story which, I believe, needs editing. So, I am giving this story the rate of 3 out of 4 stars.

All in all, I enjoyed the story and if you are the kind of reader who loves adventure, then I believe you will enjoy it, too. It is about love, family, friends (old and new) and courage. It is about what we are willing to do and how far we are willing to go for the people we love.

Ivory Wild
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Outstanding review, kimmyschemy. This novel sounds very interesting.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Thank you, Leon Durham. I enjoyed the book and I hope others will, too.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Nice review. It seems like the book has some interesting points (I wasn't expecting that bit about her fear of huge animals). Also, I like the idea that the whole family is involved. But then again, I don't like plot holes, or sense holes for that matter. I will put this book on my tbr pile, but it won't be on the top. Thank you for your insight!
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Thank you, Topcho. That's why it's very important to read reviews first before we start on a new reading material.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review. It sounds like a good read to me. Thanks for your insight into the story!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review! You made the book sounds interesting.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Thank you rssllue. I enjoyed the book and I hope others will, too.

-- 07 Nov 2015, 05:29 --

-- 07 Nov 2015, 05:35 --

Thank you, gali! It was an interesting book. I hope others will enjoy it as much as I did.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are quite welcome! Image
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

This book sounds interesting. Thank you for the recommendation!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

anonanemone wrote:This book sounds interesting. Thank you for the recommendation!
You're welcome. Yes, it is interesting.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I always like characters who take matters into their own hands, and I really enjoyed your critiques. As everyone else has already said, nice review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Tanaya wrote:I always like characters who take matters into their own hands, and I really enjoyed your critiques. As everyone else has already said, nice review!
Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”