Official Review: Alias Corey Sutton by Rusty Savage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Official Review: Alias Corey Sutton by Rusty Savage

Post by kat6496 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alias Corey Sutton by author Rusty Savage guides you through the quest of sixteen year old Corey Hunter Sutton to find his true identity, his past and his future. The death of his mother leads him to question who he is, who she was, and where he came from.

Through research and information left behind by his departed mother, Corey finds himself in Fairfield, KY, a place where he believes that he was born and fell victim to a sinister plot involving his mother and a very powerful man from a very powerful family. A boy of superior intellect, Corey learns the details of his past with the help of new found friends, who end up being part of his family. The text often is often written from the perspective of Corey, drifting to the introspection of other involved characters. The setting had a very small town "Mayberryesque" feel, with all the usual characters.

The book, while written from the perspective of a teenager, doesn’t at all use an up-to-date vernacular. I will digress to say that the book was dated to 1997, but one has never heard a teen speak so properly. A young adult myself during that time, I chuckled at the way the writer proposed that a teenager would speak. I noted at least six instances of spelling error in the text, as well as some misused terms such as councilor (one who sits on a council) versus counselor (one who counsels). I also felt that there were areas of disproportionate description. For example, Corey viewing a passing car on a bus lead to virtually a paragraph of immaterial description of the vehicle's driver. At times the tangents seemed to lead the story off track.

Criticisms aside, I believe that for such a long book (over 400 pages), this was an easy and entertaining read. I was drawn in by the interesting plot and the twists and turns it would take. I found myself being a cheerleader for Corey, and fighting the urge to jump ahead and find out if Bill Morgan was, in fact, his father, and how his story would zenith. The characters were charming and relatable. I believe that Alias Corey Sutton would be an entertaining read for any age or gender.

I rate Alias Corey Sutton 3 out of 4 stars. In my opinion, I would have found this book more believable had the conversation been more realistic and the extraneous descriptions of everything been less. I do, however, look forward to more writings by this author, who can undoubtedly weave a great tale.

Alias Corey Sutton
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like kat6496's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nice Review! For one, I'm into mysteries and puzzles. Second, I love smart characters and since you found yourself 'being a cheerleader for Corey' it means that the author was able to establish him as a really smart young guy. I would agree with you, though, with teenagers' use of vernacular, they simply do. I did at my time. Congratulations to Rusty Savage for such a good book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”