Official Review: Behind Closed Doors (1) by A.L. Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Behind Closed Doors (1) by A.L. Smith

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind Closed Doors (1)" by A.L. Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was happy to select Behind Closed Doors 1 by A.L. Smith since I enjoyed reading another book by this author. It’s the story of three women who were the victims of childhood sexual abuse by the same relative, and the long-term fallout. It is the first installment in the Behind Closed Doors series and is categorized in the Other Fiction genre.

Sierra and her cousins Alex and Latrice were sexually abused by their older cousin Keith as young children. When Sierra eventually tells her mother about the abuse, her mother questions the revelation and blames her for “letting” Keith do that to her. The abuse has a lasting impact on the girls’ self-image and they each take a different path in life. Latrice becomes a crack addict and loses her young son to her mother in the process. Sierra leaves her two children behind in Louisiana and works as a prostitute in Las Vegas. Alex, the perfectionist, tries to pretend the abuse never happened. She goes away to college, joins the Army for scholarship money, and becomes an attorney. Family ties bring them back to Louisiana and the women reconnect, as past and present collide.

This book is the perfect example of a page turner. The writing style is easy to understand, but by no means simplistic. I was pulled into the story from the very first page when Sierra recounted her mother’s reaction to being told about Keith’s pedophilia. The plot is heartbreakingly realistic in its depiction of the coping mechanisms people use and the lasting effects of abuse. The author writes in a matter-of-fact way without resorting to explicit sex scenes. The use of dialogue is superb. There is just the right blend of description and dialogue so that the reader gets a clear picture of the ways that sexual abuse is subtly tolerated by the family.

The characters are well developed. As you can imagine, the choices they make are often far from ideal, but their actions fit perfectly within the storyline. Even the supporting players, particularly Sierra’s pimp/boyfriend Lenny, are given vivid backstories without dragging the plot off into too many directions.

The main characters bear their psychological wounds without pity and move forward in their lives. It was fascinating to see how they reacted to the same childhood experiences. The chapters alternate between each girl’s points of view. I found the switches in perspective easy to keep track of. My only gripe is that I would become engrossed in one character’s story only to have to wait a few chapters to pick up their story again. Still, I can see why the author chose this plot device, as the reader is able to see the women’s parallel progression through the years.

The Louisiana setting is distinct regarding dialogue, but it is treated as a subtle backdrop than an integral part of the plot. This is a good choice as the focus remains on the effects of sexual abuse, which can happen anywhere.

This book deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. I became so absorbed that I had to reorient myself to my surroundings after reading the last page. The author should be commended for shining a light on a sensitive topic by crafting an interesting, believable tale. I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates good writing, particularly about a subject that is too often swept under the rug.

Behind Closed Doors (1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the well-written review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Akangela1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akangela1 »

Thank you so much for "getting it". What you described were my exact thoughts when writing this story...I wanted the overall message to be clear. Whew!!!
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! Very well written and insightful. Congratulations to the Author on a glowing review.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Akangela1 wrote:Thank you so much for "getting it". What you described were my exact thoughts when writing this story...I wanted the overall message to be clear. Whew!!!
You're welcome. :) The hardest thing about this book was getting to the last page. I became so attached to the characters that I didn't want the book to be over.

-- 01 Oct 2015, 14:47 --

Thanks Bluemel and Gali! This is the second book that I have read and reviewed by this author. Both books are completely standalone stories, although the topic falls under the same umbrella of sexual abuse. Interestingly, one of the characters briefly mentioned "off camera" in the first book happens to be the main character in the second one.
erasmus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Oh, wow, this sounds like a superb book. I'm glad you mentioned how well-crafted the dialogue is, because it's important to me. Sometimes some books have dialogue so uninteresting and unconvincing I'd put down the book. Which is a pity, because the plot seemed so promising.

This is definitely going onto my TBR. Once again, brilliant review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Akangela1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akangela1 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This review was everything for me as a new author. It's a tough business but this is definitely motivation to continue writing.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

erasmus wrote:Oh, wow, this sounds like a superb book. I'm glad you mentioned how well-crafted the dialogue is, because it's important to me. Sometimes some books have dialogue so uninteresting and unconvincing I'd put down the book. Which is a pity, because the plot seemed so promising.

This is definitely going onto my TBR. Once again, brilliant review!
Thanks Erasmus. The author has a natural, flowing writing style.

-- 01 Oct 2015, 22:24 --
Akangela1 wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. This review was everything for me as a new author. It's a tough business but this is definitely motivation to continue writing.
It is my hope that you are able to get more exposure for your book. It is a true indie gem.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

What a fantastic review, bookowlie! It feels as if I have already started reading the book (which I haven`t but very likely will do soon). Congratulation to the "Member of the Month" 8) Congratulation to the author of the book, too!
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Chytach for the warm wishes. :)
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Bookowlie, thanks for a great review! You captured the story line so well, makes me what to run out and find the book to see what happens.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Peprica! I have read and reviewed two books by this author in the past few months. She is a master storyteller. Both books were real page turners.

By the way, cool avatar!
peprica21

Post by peprica21 »

Bookowlie, if she is that good, I better get reading :)

Ha, thank you! I like otters and thought it was a good fit.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I do have to warn you...the topics explored in both books are harsh. The first book (the topic discussed here) deals with the effects of childhood sexual abuse by a relative. The second book deals with familial sex trafficking. That being said, there are almost no graphic sex scenes and the subject matter is handled with great sensitivity.
peprica21

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you for the warning, I appreciate it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”