Official Review: Behind Closed Doors (1) by A.L. Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Re: Official Review: Behind Closed Doors (1) by A.L. Smith

Post by Janetleighgreen »

This is a really good review! It makes me want to read this book! Nice job!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Thank you for the excellent review. I've grabbed a copy of the book for myself
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Starl3ghts
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Starl3ghts »

This is my first-time download this book behind doors for free. I know how it feels to be in an abusive relationship. I been there with the father of my children. No one deserves to be abused. I'm glad this book is out there to help someone to open up and talk to someone about their abused. I can't wait to read it.
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thank you for the review. This seems like a very real reality that could happen in a situation such as this. It is a shame the girls dealt with it in their own different ways and their mother wasn't able to help them sooner. I think this sounds like a great read!
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review! It's nice to know that a subject as explosive as this can be handled so delicately and it makes me even more look forward to reading the book!
Sunspots
Currently Reading: Something
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunspots.html

Post by Sunspots »

I've read this review and now I'm scared to read the book. My sister and were sexually abused by our stepfather. The review could almost be about us in so many ways, from how we dealt with it to how it recently came back up in our lives. I cannot wait to read this book but due to emotional triggers I will save it for a day when my kids are in school.
Thank you to the author for writing this and calling more attention to something that happens all too often.
lace_olivares
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lace-olivares.html

Post by lace_olivares »

Thank you for this review, this may be a hard topic for most people to read about, but your review has really made me want to read it, if for no other reason to appreciate a book well written. Well done.
Amje20101

Post by Amje20101 »

This is such a good review. You can easily tell you put a lot of thought and effort into it. Thank you!
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

Thank you for the review! It was very informative and made me excited for this book
Big_B99
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-big-b99.html
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor

Post by Big_B99 »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like an interesting book about a very 'taboo' subject, but one that handles that subject very well.
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor
fperez82
Currently Reading: A baby of her own
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by fperez82 »

After reading the description of the book I am going to read it tonight, thank you for your informative description of this book.
Krazyinktattoos_sm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krazyinktattoos-sm.html

Post by Krazyinktattoos_sm »

This book was about one character secretly abusing multiple members of his family. It then followed the of the main characters/sufferers of his abuse; Sierra, a Las Vegas hooker, Latrice, a local crack head and Alex, a lawyer, through their adult lives, with some flashbacks to the trauma of their past. It goes on to tell what became of them in adulthood and how the abuse affected them each differently.

I didn't feel like the family's response to Sierra finally reporting her abuse was appropriate and the grandmother's response was outright ridiculous. *Spoiler* the grandmother basically thought it was ok because that's how her husband was and she considered it 'normal'. I found it disgusting.

I chose a one star rating in part because of the writing style and the amount of ghetto speak that was used throughout, including by the lawyer, Alex. Much of this book was entirely unbelievable. There was also much need for editing; typos, missing words, grammatical errors, etc. There was one point where the author referred to 'a fine looking brother that resembled The Rock from the Fast and the Furious.'

There were a couple almost subplots including the history of Lenny becoming a pimp and things that happened between him and his only love, Tiffany.

I believe this author could use a lot of improvement and I wouldn't recommend this book or read any of this authors other books. It was just too juvenile. All of the characters were dislikable though there were all of two that had any redeeming qualities.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”