The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jenn Hovermale2
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Post by Jenn Hovermale2 »

A wonderful novel about a family of Asian women and their daughters and how their relationships reflect one another. Each woman narrates their own life story and the struggles they have encountered as a Chinese-American. The bond between the mothers and daughters can be distant and harsh but realistic. The mothers are hopeful that their daughters have a better life than they had, as they reveal their own deep dark secrets.
ValtearTheShadebane
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valteartheshadebane.html
Latest Review: "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero

Post by ValtearTheShadebane »

I loved this book! I could definitely relate to the daughters in this story, as my mother was born and raised in another country. It's sometimes hard to see the love underneath all the arguments and cultural conflicts but nevertheless, it's there. This book made me realize that the bond between mothers and daughters is one of the most precious things we can have, especially as we get older.
Latest Review: "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero
laurayam
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurayam.html
Latest Review: "Jason's Luck" by Amanda Morrissey & Katie Macway (The M. Girls)
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by laurayam »

I loved this book! I saw the movie first and loved it so much that I had to read the book. It's always said that books are better than their movies and it is so true. This book brought me to all emotions (happiness, sadness, pity, despair, depression, elation) it was so much! Very emotional book and one of those that I had a hard time putting down.
Latest Review: "Jason's Luck" by Amanda Morrissey & Katie Macway (The M. Girls)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

laurayam wrote:I loved this book! I saw the movie first and loved it so much that I had to read the book. It's always said that books are better than their movies and it is so true. This book brought me to all emotions (happiness, sadness, pity, despair, depression, elation) it was so much! Very emotional book and one of those that I had a hard time putting down.
I confess that I have not read the book (yet), but I have seen the movie and thought it was one of the best cinematic productions I have ever seen. It was a travesty which reeked to high Heaven when this movie wasn't at least NOMINATED for one, single Academy Award. That's when I stopped watching the Academy Awards. I do not watch them and I pay no attention to any of the advertising hoopla that results from them. The people who are part of the decision making process for these awards, I am convinced on the evidence of The Joy Luck Club snub, have their heads so far up their butts that they can see what they are digesting.

If you haven't seen the movie do yourself a favor and pick it up.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

@DATo the ending to this book is one of the most memorable that I've ever read! Not because anything crazy happens, but it's so eloquently written and the image you're left with is just beautiful. You'll love the book.
read well and write bravely
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

CCtheBrave wrote:@DATo the ending to this book is one of the most memorable that I've ever read! Not because anything crazy happens, but it's so eloquently written and the image you're left with is just beautiful. You'll love the book.
@CCtheBrave
As I recall, the movie left me with such an effect as the one you describe as well, but you've convinced me to read the book too. I have a few books to read which have been recommended to me by Fran but as soon as they're finished I will get Tan's book. It has already been put high on my TBR list. Thanks!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I'm glad I convinced you! You won't regret it. A lot of her other books are really good, too, like The Hundred Secret Senses
read well and write bravely
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

It's been years since I read this one (probably 7th grade) and now that I'm reminded of it- I have to go back and read it! Such a classic, great story!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I loved reading this book! I connected with the characters a lot because I was also an immigrant. I understood what the characters were going through and I could empathize with them in their situations.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”