Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King: Book vs Movie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_Fuh
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-fuh.html

Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King: Book vs Movie

Post by J_Fuh »

So I recently watched the movie Shawshank Redemption and had read the book version by Stephen King around a year ago. Typically, when books are adapted into movies, the books are much much better, with only a few exceptions (Harry Potter movies were great), although I may have a bias towards books. In any case, Shawshank Redemption the movie was one of those exceptions. The book and the movie were both amazing. The movie managed to capture the exact same feeling as I had when I read the book--but with visuals and music and sound added.
I honestly can't say which I prefer because books use words to describe, and that always gives a perspective which movies can't exactly emulate. Of course, on the flip side, movies are the same as well, with the aid of visuals and sound which books can't do.

SPOILERS:
The only big differences between the book and the movie was that in the movie the made it more dramatic by actually showing the scene where the Warden shoots Tommy. As for the book, I don't quite remember what happened to Tommy anyway...and the second difference was the very end of the book/movie. In the book, Red reads the letter Andy left for him and King cuts it off there, so we never know if Red ever finds Andy, and if Andy actually made it to Xuanslhidt (Shoot, I can't remember nor spell that location) which leaves an ambiguous ending for the readers. The movie actually shows Red and Andy meeting at...Xuanshidt and gives the audience a more complete, happy ending. Both are good endings to me, really, since I imagined that was exactly what happened after I had finished the novel as well.

Which do you guys prefer, book or movie?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”