J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
darkandstormyknight
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkandstormyknight.html

Re: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Post by darkandstormyknight »

I read this back in middle school, and I loved it! My sister is now obsessed with it as well. It's a great story, makes me want to run away and live as a hobbit honestly. And I think splitting the movies into three is nonsense, get it together people. And then they changed so much of it, ugh hate it when they do that.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

The Hobbit is a classic that will be forever loved by me. And my kids. And their kids. Hopefully. :)
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

DavidB52 wrote: 21 Aug 2011, 17:46 I thought it was very good.
And I read the "Lord of the Rings", and "The Silmarillion".
If you find that you are into J. R. R. Tolkien's world, "The Silmarillion" is a prequel, giving a lot of background of Middle Earth (but I found it a drier read than the other books).
The Hobbit is a great read, and I have all but memorized LOR. But I agree that The Silmarillion is tough to slog through. If you do read it, note the similarities between the creation of Middle Earth and that of Narnia.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I agree that The Hobbit is a wonderful book. It might even be more enjoyable than the Trilogy the lord of the rings. The hobbit was originally a children's story, if I remember correctly. This explains why it's not as scary as lord if the rings. The story is shorter and simpler than the triology. I've read and reread the Hobbit several times and I have also seen the movies.
Lee-dre L
Currently Reading: Troubled Blood
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-dre-l.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B005890G8Y

Post by Lee-dre L »

I was given this book by my mother when I was little. At first, she had to read it to me because I could not yet read English, but as soon as I was able to I read it myself, and I've done so many times since! It comforts me, and no matter what happens in my life, I feel like I can always pick this book up to make me feel better.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”