Official Review: Remy's Dilemma by Andrew Snook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Official Review: Remy's Dilemma by Andrew Snook

Post by Amheiser »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Remy's Dilemma" by Andrew Snook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re stressed out and looking for a little wacky comic relief, you might want to check out Andrew Snook’s short comic adventure, “Remy’s Dilemma”. Remy’s story takes place a few decades in the future where many changes have taken place in the world. The gap between the rich and the poor has become greater, and conflicts have arisen as a result.

The story starts when Remy wakes up from a dream and believes he hears that the world is coming to an end. He hears a radio broadcaster announcing that the poorer nations are rising up against Glomitrox, a major pharmaceutical company which is controlling the military. Glomitrox, in turn, is threatening to launch a full nuclear strike against all people who don’t support them. Remy is a young adult and is in a panic because he has lots of things he wants to accomplish before his life is over.

Is Remy going to try to right a lifetime of wrongs, or is he going to try to complete what he can of his “bucket” list? Remy chooses his “bucket list” that he wrote in the fourth grade. With his list in hand, his adventures begin. He takes with him his smiley guy stamp and an irradiated emerald green crayon from his Hungry Boys lunchbox that he’s saved from the fourth grade.

Remy is not your typical working class guy, especially since the world is going to end, and his adventures are not typical adventures. Remy is kind of like the comic Englishman, Mr. Bean, in that he unknowingly causes chaos behind him that he is fairly clueless about. In Remy’s case though, the chaos is a little more gruesome and in a case of mistaken identity, he ends up with a detective and an FBI agent following his trail, trying to figure out who he is and what he is up to.

This story takes place in Canada and has a lot of references to Canada and the Canadian culture that I think will be appreciated by someone who is familiar with life in Canada. The humor is rather crude and more for adults. If you like the kind of humor in “Family Guy”, you might like this story.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is very well-written and thought-out. There were a number of things that happened in the beginning of the story that led to comical misunderstandings and more humorous antics in the end. Although the humor is crude, and familiarity with Canadian culture would make the comedy funnier to some, this story might be enjoyable to any adult who likes Snook’s type of humor.

Remy's Dilemma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Amheiser's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I can't believe I missed this review. Nice job! I like wacky books and this one seems to rank right up there. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html

Post by Amheiser »

This book was wacky all right. I think Canadians will appreciate the wackiness much more than anyone else. It seemed like a lot of stuff was sort of like "inside jokes" maybe for Canadians, but I've never lived in Canada so I can only speculate.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review, though I don't think the book is for me. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Agreeing with everyone else, nice review! You gave a great sense of what the book is like. I don't know much about Canada, but I do like Family Guy...

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”