Official Review: The Great Escape by Sabra Breanne Davis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Official Review: The Great Escape by Sabra Breanne Davis

Post by Ursula_Minor »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Great Escape" by Sabra Breanne Davis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There exists a group of readers for whom Sabra Breanne Davis's The Great Escape will be immensely satisfying: those invested in the ever growing canon of dystopian YA fantasy literature who read those texts especially for the fantasy worlds that they depict. Declan, the book's protagonist, finds himself in solitary confinement after refusing to relocate with his mother. Alone and suffering from malnourishment and mistreatment, he is privy to whispers of special powers, bizarre experiments, and a president with unknown and perhaps evil motives. Uncertain about his fate, his faith, or the whereabouts of his mother-- his only living relative--, Declan must game a system that is stacked against him in order to escape, and perhaps to survive.

The Great Escape bears several markers of the kind of polish expected from literary and YA publications: the story is mysterious, centers around a protagonist that is at the same age and level of development as projected readers, and includes intriguing chapter titles, such as "Frankenstein is Real." The novel also bears the main marker of a coming-of-age story: over the course of the novel, Declan experiences personal growth that is clearly related to his experiences; he develops an increasingly nuanced view of the world based on a changed perspective. His growth, however, is minimal, and somewhat disappointing. For example, Declan experiments briefly with faith, but doesn't seem to retain any interest or engagement with the kind of soul-searching questions that lead him there, and that briefly add depth to his character. In this way, the author sometimes works against herself.

Additionally, The Great Escape is character, rather than plot, centric, which makes the reading experience different than one might expect from dystopian YA fiction. Many of the novel's problems revolve around this tension. The lack of a solid set of events through which to show character development means that the author has to work at developing Declan's character through dialogue and inner monologue. The result, in this particular case, is that the narrative does a lot of telling, rather than showing. This particular element of The Great Escape makes it especially suitable for younger and inexperienced readers. Older readers and avid readers in the YA age range may find it frustrating, as it sometimes relies on well-worn tropes and archetypes more than it builds up a world and a character on its own. Finally, the biggest issue with this book is that it lacks stakes, which makes the main character difficult to care about.

This text, somewhat ironically, may also be a useful read for writers. It provides a series of examples of both effective and ineffective writing that stand out to the reader, and thus serves as a kind of object lesson, especially in character development. Chapter names, turns of phrase, and opening and closing lines stand out in this text, and are effective at drawing the reader in. Conversely, the narrative moves between past and present tense, and switches between first person and third person omniscient narrative perspective without warning, or any indication of purpose. Both of these shifts, which occur regularly, are jarring to the reading experience.

I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4. It is ambitious in its aims, but doesn't fully land.

The Great Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Ursula_Minor's review? Post a comment saying so!
callsign: unknown
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
fav_author_id: 2399

Post by VanessaB16 »

Great review!!
"And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?"
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
Ursula_Minor

Post by Ursula_Minor »

Aw, thanks! *blush*
SabraDavis2014
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SabraDavis2014 »

Thank you so much for reviewing my book! I greatly appreciate both the positives and the negatives of the review! I realized that I need to give Declend more character development and I assure you the sequel is giving him just that! I hope once that is done that you will be the one to do the review to see how much he and I both improved.
Ursula_Minor

Post by Ursula_Minor »

Thanks! I enjoyed reading it (even if everything in the review wasn't strictly positive), and would really love to read the next installment! Be in touch when it's finished!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@Ursula_Minor I was impressed by your thorough review of this book. Great job! Congrats to you and the author. While not strictly positive, it provided constructive feedback to the author, and it is apparent that the author is thoughtful enough to have already noticed. Also, regardless of your critique, you still made the story sound interesting, most likely because it is. Also, the things you noticed, may not strike other readers as negatively as, say, horrible grammar and misspellings. Sounds like the author has great things ahead.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Ursula_Minor

Post by Ursula_Minor »

@escapeartist thanks! I try to be unpretentious, and think about reviews as really being about matching readers to books that suit them. Also, I'm new at this, and appreciate the encouragement!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@Ursula_Minor that is the only way to be!! And yes, this appears to be your second review, and you only get better as you go along. Keep it up!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”