Official Review: The Skye in June by June Ahern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Official Review: The Skye in June by June Ahern

Post by peprica21 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Skye in June" by June Ahern.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Skye in June by June Ahern is a young adult book about the MacDonald family and their life in America. Cathy and Jimmy MacDonald leave their family, friends and beloved Scotland behind to make a better life for themselves and their four daughters. However, life in America is not the golden ticket Cathy and Jimmy had hoped for.

Annie, Maggie, Mary and June MacDonald are sisters whose childhoods unfold in San Francisco during the 1950s. Being immigrants from Scotland, each girl faces challenges as they learn to navigate school, American slang, and the changing times of America. Cathy and Jimmy are both devout Catholics and try to bring their daughters up with strong religious beliefs, but as the girls grow they begin to question and rebel against their Catholic upbringing.

The story focuses on the youngest daughter, June, a fiery girl who has special powers. As early as the age of three, June shows signs of speaking and seeing angels, predicts events that have yet to happen and can communicate with the dead. Cathy, June’s mother, at first dismisses the young child’s abilities. But as June grows older, Cathy begins to believe in her daughter and even reveals secrets of her own. Her father Jimmy, however has always believed June was a pagan baby and verbally abuses June when she exhibits her abilities.

One of my favorite parts of the book is when young June befriends their downstairs neighbor Mrs. G. As a young child, June becomes fast friends and soul sisters with the elderly neighbor. Mrs. G can sense the supernatural abilities June possess and takes her under her wing to teach her how to use her powers. They spend countless days together in Mrs. G’s garden learning how to communicate with angels, using tarot cards to reveal the future and sense the aura and emotions of others.

June and her sisters struggle their whole lives to obtain their father’s approval and as the girls go through school and enter adulthood, the family begins to break apart and become distant. Secrets, lost loves, family bonds and heartbreak are major themes in this story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. At first, the storyline is a bit all over the place and several day-to-day activities of the MacDonald family are drawn out a bit too long. However, as the story unfolds I became hooked. I liked the way the author expanded all four sister’s personalities throughout the story. I also enjoyed the way Ahern brings depth to Cathy and her past, allowing the reader to experience multiple sides of the Cathy’s character. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a good fiction story to dive into or who enjoys stories with a supernatural theme.

The Skye in June
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like peprica21's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. The story sounds unique. It's interesting that both parents reacted in a negative way to June's supernatural powers.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good. Nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
peprica21

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you Gali, I appreciate it!

Bookowlie, it's a very different story, which makes the book so good. It is sad her parents hold such negative views of their daughter because she is different, something I think a lot of people could relate too. Thank you for your comment!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I really liked this review. It tackles some heavy and relatable themes. The story sounds really interesting and you do a great job of conveying the essence of the book to potential readers. I would definitely read it based on your recommendation.
peprica21

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you Tanaya! I appreciate your feedback.
June8-+
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17384">The Skye in June</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by June8-+ »

Thank you so very much for the most positive review. I am happy you enjoyed my girls, and saw Cathy at her worst and her true self before what fell upon her. Blessings to you and your happy reading times.
peprica21

Post by peprica21 »

June8-+ wrote:Thank you so very much for the most positive review. I am happy you enjoyed my girls, and saw Cathy at her worst and her true self before what fell upon her. Blessings to you and your happy reading times.
You are most welcome. Thank you for sharing your story! All the best to you.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love supernatural theme as long as it is well executed and this book sounds like it. Great review! Congratulations to June Ahern for such a wonderful book!
peprica21

Post by peprica21 »

Kimmyschemy06, thank you! I think Ahern does a great job of using the supernatural theme in a way the reader can relate to such a abstract concept. She also presents it in a way that gives the reader questions to think about and allows the reader to evaluate one's belief system, if they so choose to dive deeper into the material.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”