Official Review: A Melancholy Note by Quadidra S. Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: A Melancholy Note by Quadidra S. Williams

Post by jhollan2 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Melancholy Note" by Quadidra S. Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Melancholy Note is Quadidra S. William' first novel. The story follows Kalyia, a lonely, isolated seventeen year old girl, through the ups and downs of her relationship with Shadeem, a charming musician with a dark side. Set in Philadelphia, the novel features a diverse case of primarily black and Hispanic young adults trying to find their places in the world and with each other.

Kalyia is in high school when she meets Shadeem, living with the grandmother who raised her and looking for a place to belong. Shadeem makes her feel like a part of something exciting, and despite some clear warning signs she falls head over heels for him. A Melancholy Note traces their relationship through Kalyia’s college experience, an unplanned pregnancy, a shotgun wedding, infidelities, and family tragedies, all of which contribute to an increasingly tense and fragile peace between the two which escalates to a shocking conclusion.

As the dynamic between Kalyia and Shadeem unfolded, I was a bit concerned that A Melancholy Note was going to be one of those books jumping on the 50 Shades of Grey bandwagon, fetishising and glorifying abusive relationships. However, Williams does a commendable job of exploring the intricacies of domestic violence and the effect that the cycle of abuse has on everyone that comes into contact with it. While abuse is always wrong regardless of provocation, neither Kalyia nor Shadeem are innocent victims in A Melancholy Note. Both main characters are guilty of abuse in different ways, both physically and emotionally. Kalyia and Shadeem are both cheaters, both manipulative, and both prone to violent outbursts. Neither of them had healthy models of adult relationships as children, and as a result they have an extremely dysfunctional marriage.

While A Melancholy Note is relatively well written, it is still easy to see that it is a first novel, and one that was self-published. It begins with a short essay by the author’s husband which encourages readers to “just do you!” There is also a poem, free-verse and unpunctuated. I found the beginning of the book very confusing, because Williams has labeled the first chapter “Introduction.” I began reading it assuming that it would be a standard introduction and was perhaps an anecdotal story about Williams’ own life. It soon became clear that that was not the case and the chapter continued on for what Kindle tells me is 20% of the book.

While Kalyia and Shadeem are both from broken homes, they are never short on cash and always achieve their dreams in a way that just feels too simplistic in the present economic climate. Their baby, Sha, also comes across as an obvious plot device, a way to move along their relationship. After he is born, he spends the majority of his time with Kalyia’s grandmother or with Shadeem’s sister-in-law while Kalyia and Shadeem blithely go about their now married lives. At times, since the book is spanning a number of years, it feels like there is a lot of detail being glossed over and the day to day details are ignored in favor of the bits of high drama that are the focus of the book.

I chose to give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Despite some minor issues I had with the story, the overall plot is engaging and will keep readers coming back for more. This is definitely not a story for the faint of heart or someone looking for a happily ever after, but the story is the perfect fit for anyone who loves urban fiction with a dark side.

A Melancholy Note
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jhollan2's review? Post a comment saying so!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! This book sounds pretty good. I like the pretty blue swirlies on the cover. I don't think this is the book for me, but if my tastes were different, it might be! :-)
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I don`t think the book is for me but I guess it`s good. Introduction part seems unusual, though. Great review!
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@jhollan2 you did a great job classifying this story. You let the reader know exactly what to expect, and although the picture is not pretty, you helped point the way to understanding of the author's intentions. Great job, and congrats to the author!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lovely review! I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@jhollan2, I enjoyed reading your review! I'm not sure if this book is for me. I like happy romantic endings :). But, I'm you liked the book! Nice review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
qwillia
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by qwillia »

Thanks for the review. I was happy to get your feedback.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The story sounds interesting but since it's not for the faint of heart and I'm SO into happily ever after, I think it's not for me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”