Official Review: pigeons of poetry by Youssef Ahalla

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: pigeons of poetry by Youssef Ahalla

Post by literarycat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "pigeons of poetry" by Youssef Ahalla.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pigeons of Poetry by Youssef Ahalla is a collection of "kind-escape" poems as described by the poet. The collection contains seven poems encompassing fourteen pages total. The poems vary in themes from politics to reminiscing on a lost love.

This collection of poetry is reminiscent of the poems of E. E. Cummings in that the poet does not utilize punctuation. This technique makes it harder to understand where one idea ends and another begins. Because of that difficultly the reader must come to really understand the poet and what he is trying to say. Some of the poems like "Rain Comes Down," seem to be all over the place and thrown together with no rhyme or reason to it. It felt like Youssef's mind was all over the place while writing these poems. There were times when the poems simply became too difficult to follow what the poem was addressing.

The poems included in Pigeons of Poetry not only randomly changes in thoughts and ideas, but also in font. The lines go from regular font to italics. Could this be because the italics represent the side thoughts of the poet? The changes in font add a quality to each poem; one that provides a deeper glimpse into the poet's mind? I had to read these poems several times to understand them, and honestly I don't think I fully understand what the poet is trying to get across. I am not sure if that is because of the non existent punctuation or spacing, or the random train of thoughts. Sadly I found the collection a little difficult to understand on several accounts.

I really enjoyed reading Youssef's poetry. The collection was completely different from what I am used to reading. One of my favorite lines out of this collection is found in the poem "Lilaria." It states, "I wrote to you non-decipherable words with yoga movements." The image it provided me of words bending and twisting into something different, something beautiful was exquisite. The poet has an uncanny talent for making his words bend and twist into a beautiful image dancing around in the reader's mind.

With his beautiful words and interesting use of font, I give this collection a 3 out of 4. The downfall to the collection was the confusion in where ideas began and ended. Breaking the lines up with spacing or punctuation would have made things clearer and easier to read.

Pigeons of Poetry is a wonderfully written collection. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys poetry of all forms.

pigeons of poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like literarycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. It's always difficult to review poetry books because there aren't the standard elements to review - plot, characters, pacing, ending, etc. It's more of a window into the person's feelings or a short burst of imagery - think of Carl Sandburg's poems. You did a great job of reviewing this book in an objective, balanced way. Well done!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Great review! I am not the biggest fan of poetry, but your review makes me want to give this book a go!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lovely review! I am glad you enjoyed the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wow, this seems like it was probably a tough book to review. Poetry certainly isn't my thing. Plus, I'd have no clue how to review or interpret it.

Did this book have a kind of "stream of consciousness" feel? That's the impression I gathered. Interesting, almost impossible to rate art form there...

Great review!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Wow, this seems like it was probably a tough book to review. Poetry certainly isn't my thing. Plus, I'd have no clue how to review or interpret it.

Did this book have a kind of "stream of consciousness" feel? That's the impression I gathered. Interesting, almost impossible to rate art form there...

Great review!
it is difficult to review, I am not sure on the stream of consciousness feel to it, now that you mention it I would yes probably. At the time of reading and reviewing it I didn't think of that.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, I'll tell ya, it just seems like this would be a tough book to review. :-) I admire all the effort you put into it!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I think you did an excellent job of providing specific criticisms, both good and bad. I can relate to your frustration of not always knowing what the writer was trying to get across. That's why I tend to stay away from poetry. But then you also mention the beautiful imagery which certainly captured my interest.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

This sounds like a bold idea, and with that special all good poetry has when it comes to leaving an impression.
Perhaps not having clearly delineated boundaries is a failing, but maybe a deliberate risk as well, which may pay off for some more than others?
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”